Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Floor Installer

Rewards Points: 154

Corrugated roof

Every fall, walnuts punch holes in my roof. I would like to use corrugated metal on one section(shaded area in picture) . How do I tie it into the shingled areas above it? (Removing the tree is not an option.)
Attached Thumbnails
Corrugated roof-untitled.jpg  

sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Floor Installer

Corrugated roof

No answers?

Old 10-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Corrugated roof

corrugated metal, as the stuff you can purchase from Lowes/Home Depot is not really considered a roofing product. While i know it is not uncommon for this material to be used on porch overhangs and over outdoor sheds and such, it is somewhat inferior as a roof surface.

As for terminating this with shingles... you would need to fabricate and install a flashing detail that would extend from underneath the shingles over the top of the metal roof. the shape of the metal would leave voids that would be somewhat problematic.
RoofDiagnostics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Floor Installer

Corrugated roof

Many of the barns in this area have used corrugated roofing for 50 years or more. There is even a cap made to be used on the peak. Any other ideas to protect the roofing from walnuts?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Jack of all trades

Rewards Points: 10

Corrugated roof

Is the transition area without a step?

Depending the climate, northern vs southern clime.

If north, I would suggest a ice dam material under the shingles for prevention of water infiltration to the shingle area. As for the flashing, make sure you install at least two rows of the foam inserts under the flashing. I would suggest using a good silicone when applying those inserts.

Also, I would also lay a bead of silicone on the overlaps. In a regular polebarn styple situation, you do not want to do that, but in your situation I would. These overlaps do give you a channel that is supposed to prevent the leaks occuring, but from my experience, they do not work perfectly.

Also, use screws instead of the nails, they give you a much better control of your seal on the rubber gasket.
Attached Thumbnails
Corrugated roof-untitled.jpg  
Superintendent is offline   Reply With Quote