Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

corrugated metal or standing seam for irregular roof?

hello

i'm working on fixing up a roof on an old condemned house. there are several sections that join together, and about three different pitches ranging from slight to steep. i've already framed out the sections of the roof that were too rotten. now i'm trying to pick a material to use. there are definitely some bows in the roof, and also where the different sections of the roof meets, it gets a little crazy and uneven. i would like to use a galvalume unpainted corrugated or standing seam metal roof, if it is possible with my irregular shape. my questions are:

1. is it possible to use metal sheets on a roof that is not completely level and straight?

2. is corrugated better for this situation than standing seam?

3. i'll probably have to make quite a few cuts, i'm assuming i'll do this with tin snips because i read that saws can destroy the protective finish. is it easier to cut through standing seam or corrugated? (if they are about the same gauge)

4. is galvalume corrugated more likely to rust than galvalume standing seam because of the exposed screws?

5. does it make sense to buy some sort or sealant and paint it on the cut edges to ensure it won't rust? (i'm a little worried of rust occurring where the screws go in too but i'm not sure what to do about that)

thank you! - nicole

nicole21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Standing seam roofs are better for detail work. And you don't have any screws in the panels to leak 4-5 years later.
I have many albums here you can look over for some examples of detail work. http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/pho..._list.asp?u=30
And, here are all the details of a recent, cut-up tin roof I did. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Tin%20...to_gallery.htm

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Standing seam roofs are better for detail work. And you don't have any screws in the panels to leak 4-5 years later.
I have many albums here you can look over for some examples of detail work. http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/pho..._list.asp?u=30
And, here are all the details of a recent, cut-up tin roof I did. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Tin%20...to_gallery.htm
can you do my roof please
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

You're going to have to get on the waiting list! I'm pretty backed up.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #5

nooooooooo

by the way is most roofers backed up in the md/va area? people are taking long time to get back to me
Old 09-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

Federer, it can get annoying this time of year. Many people have known all year long they needed to get work done but they are too "busy" all summer to take care of it. All of the sudden the leaves start changing and everyone says Oh crap, gotta get my roof done before winter. Then they get annoyed because they have to wait in line.

Don't get me wrong, we love the work but it would be nice if it were spread evenly throughout the working season. This time of year is a lot of pressure to perform for many of us. It's the ones that aren't busy right now that one should possibly be wary of.

BTW, to the OP. Many of us are not big fans of poking a million holes in a brand new roof on any structure better than a chicken coop. (ie corrugated roofing)
Am starting a small residential in Sandpoint in the morning with what sounds similar to what you have. IF I can I will take some pics and see if any of them are of any use to you.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 09-07-2010 at 11:50 PM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
seeyou (09-08-2010)
Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Federer, it can get annoying this time of year. Many people have known all year long they needed to get work done but they are too "busy" all summer to take care of it. All of the sudden the leaves start changing and everyone says Oh crap, gotta get my roof done before winter. Then they get annoyed because they have to wait in line.

Don't get me wrong, we love the work but it would be nice if it were spread evenly throughout the working season. This time of year is a lot of pressure to perform for many of us. It's the ones that aren't busy right now that one should possibly be wary of.

BTW, to the OP. Many of us are not big fans of poking a million holes in a brand new roof on any structure better than a chicken coop. (ie corrugated roofing)
Am starting a small residential in Sandpoint in the morning with what sounds similar to what you have. IF I can I will take some pics and see if any of them are of any use to you.
thanks for the note. makes sense...i guess i will be patient