Corner Of Roof Not Secured - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,362

Corner of roof not secured

My house is a split-level ranch. So when I walk out onto my back deck, I can reach up and touch the soffit with my hand. When we had a guy try to put a gutter on the back of the house, he was able to stand under the eave and lift the corner of the roof about an inch or two.

How do I secure that corner of the roof - from the inside or outside of the house? I'm adding blown-in insulation to the attic this spring, so if it's a repair that needs to be done in the attic, I'd like to do it now.

What do I do to fix it? We haven't had any problems because of it.

Advertisement

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Add a Gusset or if necessary, a post for support.

But, why is it coming down in the first place?

Are there any loose framing members or cracked rafters or just some loose nails on the interior structure.

Try to address the reason why first and then go for the fix.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,362

I'm sorry, I read your response and re-read my post and see that I've made it sound like the reason I can reach up and touch the soffit is that the roof is sagging. The soffit and roof are exactly as they're suppose to be. They're not falling down or sagging. The design of the house is such that the back door is about 6' off the ground, which puts it up closer to the bottom of the roof.

The problem is that the corner of the roof on that side of the house can be lifted up as if it's not secured like it should be. There are no bad spots on the roof or the wall supporting it. I looked at the trusses in that corner from up in the attic and they all look dry and clean with no damage. The roof sheathing looks clean and dry. It's not seperated from the trusses at any point.

Do you think it's possible that a couple of the trusses aren't fastened to the top plate? That's the only thing I could think of, but I don't know very much about roofs or trusses or the way they're put together.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there is no facia (sp?) board that connects the ends of the trusses. I don't know if that matters, but I thought I should mention it. When I said 'we had a guy try to put a gutter on the back of the house', the reason he couldn't do it is because there was nothing to fasten the brackets to. We even tried to locate the ends of the trusses and they don't extend all the way to where the aluminum trim is that's suppose to be covering the facia board. I'd like to take the aluminum off to see what's going on in there, but I don't have a riveter to put it all back together.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. I hope it makes sense.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

so it sounds like the soffit was added after the truss went in? you have any pictures?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Take the aluminum fascia off and put a wood fascia on so that it is even with aluminum soffit ends. You may need to shim too get the fascia sraight. That should tie everything together and help hold the corner in place. If you can drive a couple nails into the loose trusses from the inside do that as well. You can buy a pop rivit gun and rivits for less than $ 20.00 at HD or Menards. Now that you have a fascia you could nail it.
chb70 is offline   Reply With Quote