DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Copper look gutters but not as expensive ?

16K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
I'm looking for either copper look gutters or a darker color
I'm going to replace the gutters on the South side
They are the PVC/plastic/vinyl kind & sit too far from the fascia
With white trim the white gutters blend in
But they reflect light

I want a darker color to soaks up sun & help melt ice in the winter
Dark brown is out - I think
Black is a maybe...of course then I need black gutter guards
Copper look ?.....copper gutter guards ?

Copper Penny Aluminum is a painted aluminum product that has the appearance of new copper and is then finished with a high-gloss coat for an authentic copper look.
So.....whats out there ?

I'm also debating letting the top part of the roof over the sunroom (16' on left) simply overflow onto the sunroom roof -16' long
The roof to the right would drain to the right & a rain water recovery system
The addition roof is oover 30' long....so the lower gutter would be draining 32' of roof

Good idea...bad?

Old pic:

See less See more
#3 ·
Good point
What I really want is something that is not white that will soak up the southern sun
Not every winter....but with the right snowstorm the gutters get filled & then melt & freeze

The copper look alum "penny" they say always looks like copper
I know the brownish look of copper, that is OK
Green I dunno

I guess I also need to ask the wife what she wants
Not sure if she cares

#4 ·
Copper Penny Aluminum is a painted aluminum product that has the appearance of new copper and is then finished with a high-gloss coat for an authentic copper look.

The copper penny gutters I've seen are the lighter gauge (.027 vs .032) aluminum. If they were .032 then the price would likely be just slightly less than real copper. They also don't verdigris. They don't look "authentic" to me, but they also don't look bad, IMHO.

I guess the dark color idea might help with the melt a little. I wouldn't count on it much, though.

I'm also debating letting the top part of the roof over the sunroom (16' on left) simply overflow onto the sunroom roof -16' long
The roof to the right would drain to the right & a rain water recovery system
The addition roof is oover 30' long....so the lower gutter would be draining 32' of roof

I'd need a view from the other angle to make the call, but that's 9-10 sq. of roof. 6" gutter with two 4" downspouts would probably work.

#8 ·
Thanks....its getting there
Outside is looking much better this year...started in March
A lot of junk going to the dump too
Siding has been a big change

Blue gutters...that would be different
I think I will look into local gutter companies & see what they have for colors

I wish Lumber Co I like was closer....but its over 1/2 an hour on back roads to get there
House had the vinyl gutters already...I added the same to the sunroom (17') to match

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.