Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

Share |

Converting flat roof to gable-style roof

I'm wondering if anyone in the DIY Forum has converted a flat roof to a gable roof?? Here's my situation: I have a 2nd floor bedroom addition built over an attached garage. The addition (bedroom) basically has a low slope, flat roof on it. The roof size is 12'w x 22'L. The roof doesn't leak b/c it's always been covered with a good epdm rubber job. Ponding or pooling of rain water is minimal. My desire to create a gable roof over the flat roof is to better deal w/ or shed snow loads b/c I'm basically getting too old to get up there and shovel off 2' feet of snow in the winter! Any thoughts, input or experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

gordieax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

Post some picture so we can see what your seeing.
Pretty common job so I know there's people here that have done ot.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

I've tried to attach a pic of the flat portion of the roof -side view, a pic of the side view of the house- garage side from the ground and also a pic of a model I created of the proposed gable roof. Hope they help explain the situation. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Converting flat roof to gable-style roof-img_0917.jpg   Converting flat roof to gable-style roof-img_0952.jpg   Converting flat roof to gable-style roof-img_0967.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #4

If you are shovelling snow you must suspect the structure can't hold the snow load? I'd put my money into that, because it looks like you have a pretty good roof system as is. As for your model, it would be a large expense for little gain to put anything less than a 4/12 pitch.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #5

The 2nd floor addition and roof in question, located in New England, has been in place for 20 yrs. w/ really no problem.The flat area of the roof is approx.12' wide and 10' long and was framed w/2x6 located 12" on center to help carry any snow load. As I mentioned , I've shoveled it during heavy snows not b/c I anticipated any possible load failure but to eliminate any risk. Bottom line is , I don't want to find out if it will fail to carry a heavy snow load; I prefer to act preemptively. Safer than sorry but I can't be getting up there for many more years, know what I mean?

Last edited by gordieax; 11-09-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

If your not having any problems, I would recommend hiring a roofer to shovel the few times a year that it needs shoveled.

sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote