Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Considering Replacing my shingles.

Couldn't find many recent threads on diy'ers replacing their own shingles so I thought I'd try.

I could post a couple snaps if anyone's interested. According to the previous owners our shingles currently are out of warranty(25 year, I think) and I'm one, getting annoyed of replacing shingles for the last three years and two, don't want any leaks on new insulation in the attic or on freshly painted rooms.
I have a bunch of questions:
1. If I use a small dumpster for hauling it will fill faster and cost less, right?
2. Is there a law against just laddering the bottom "course" instead of setting a plank? I realize a plank would be much more efficient. I don't feel like buying this stuff but I could probably borrow from neighbors.
3. What's a good starter nail gun and air tank for about 30 square?
4. Is about 10 percent above material estimate enough?
5. What's "dimensional" and "3 tab shingle"?
6. Is it a big risk waiting another year?
7. Is a "square" simply 10ft by 10ft?
8. Are their any restrictions really to using ice guard?

Ive been in a trade for more than a decade and was on a roof of this year doing tear down, trimming starter shingles, hauling to the truck, etc. I just want to Renew my shingles before I'm forced into a bunch of water damage repair. Thanks for your time. I hope my thread can be helpful to other tradesmen interested in taking on another trade at their own home and saving a buck.

Last edited by Squeakyhinge; 10-04-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Adding on
Squeakyhinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeakyhinge View Post
Couldn't find many recent threads on diy'ers replacing their own shingles so I thought I'd try.

I could post a couple snaps if anyone's interested. According to the previous owners our shingles currently are out of warranty(25 year, I think) and I'm one, getting annoyed of replacing shingles for the last three years and two, don't want any leaks on new insulation in the attic or on freshly painted rooms.
I have a bunch of questions:
1. If I use a small dumpster for hauling it will fill faster and cost less, right?
Not sure how you figure that one, the more trips it takes the hauler the more the total coast will be.
2. Is there a law against just laddering the bottom "course" instead of setting a plank? I realize a plank would be much more efficient. I don't feel like buying this stuff but I could probably borrow from neighbors.
There's no mention of how many storys the house is or the pitch so it's hard to say just how to do it. (It's walk boards not planks)
3. What's a good starter nail gun and air tank for about 30 square?
If this is the only job your going to do with it you may want to rent one instead of spending 3 or 4 hundred dollars.
4. Is about 10 percent above material estimate enough?
That's fine
5. What's "dimensional" and "3 tab shingle"?
Dimensional are twice as thick and do not have tabs, there also going to last mush longer.
6. Is it a big risk waiting another year?
SInce no one has seen your roof no way to tell.
7. Is a "square" simply 10ft by 10ft?
Yes, plus you need extras for the starter strip and the caps.
8. Are their any restrictions really to using ice guard?
Storm and Ice needs to be added to at least the lower edge of the roof to help prevent ice dams.

Ive been in a trade for more than a decade and was on a roof of this year doing tear down, trimming starter shingles, hauling to the truck, etc. I just want to Renew my shingles before I'm forced into a bunch of water damage repair. Thanks for your time. I hope my thread can be helpful to other tradesmen interested in taking on another trade at their own home and saving a buck.
No offence but if your having to ask these kinds of questions and there really is 30 squares you would be far better off getting a company to come in and roof this for you. That's a lot of shingles. They could strip it and reroof it in two days. A diy doing by there self would takes at least a week working nonstop.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No offence but if your having to ask these kinds of questions and there really is 30 squares you would be far better off getting a company to come in and roof this for you. That's a lot of shingles. They could strip it and reroof it in two days. A diy doing by there self would takes at least a week working nonstop.
Don't have the cash flow.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

Couldn't I just do one side at a time? Is there a temporary cover for the ridges?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #5

We have been through this dozens of time on here with DIY's trying to save money and doing that big a roof by there self.
That's going to be 6750 LB. just in shingles that will need to be carryed up there. Not including all the Storm and Ice, felt paper, boxes of nails, ridge caps.

There is no temperary cap. If both sides are not striped the same day you end up having to redo the top piece of tar paper that gets laid over the peak to cover it up.

I never have less then three people when working on a roof that size. Two on the roof stripping and one on the ground picking up the shingles. We strip the whole roof and paper it then the next day come back and roof it.
With all the shingles stripped and the roof papered you could order roof roof top delivery for the shingles.
There never laid over the peak of the roof when deliverered and they have to be spead out along the roof line.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #6

We have been through this dozens of time on here with DIY's trying to save money and doing that big a roof by there self.
That's going to be 6750 LB. just in shingles that will need to be carryed up there. Not including all the Storm and Ice, felt paper, boxes of nails, ridge caps.
Everyone of them came back and had given up and got some help.
There is no temperary cap. If both sides are not striped the same day you end up having to redo the top piece of tar paper that gets laid over the peak to cover it up.

I never have less then three people when working on a roof that size. Two on the roof stripping and one on the ground picking up the shingles. We strip the whole roof and paper it then the next day come back and roof it.
With all the shingles stripped and the roof papered you could order roof roof top delivery for the shingles.
There never laid over the peak of the roof when deliverered and they have to be spead out along the roof line.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,122

Squeaky, Joe is not yanking your chain. I did my own roof and good lord was it a battle. I tried to do a side at a time (hip roof) and that's NOT the way to go.......you end up marring the new shingles when you start on the other side. I had tarps on my roof for 6 months because I just couldn't get to it because of weather and work. Seriously, it is cheaper to have someone do it. Some roofers in my area do it in ONE day......strip the roof and reroof in ONE day. By the time you buy all the tools needed, rent some equipment like ladders, etc. miss time at work, etc. a roofer could be in and out.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #8

Hey, really I and probably many others thank you for your feedback. I certainly wouldn't want to make any one believe they could take on a roofing company. I like the sound of getting it done in one day. I guess the weather is so nice right now I couldn't help but think about it.

Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #9

I honestly gave up on the idea until i thought just out of curiousity I'd measure my roof to see how much materials would be. Just measured my roof and coming up with 15 square. It's a ranch and the area includes a 2 car detached garage. Hmm.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #10

Make that 20 square. Sorry.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,122

In my area we have a reputable roofing company that does insurance work. They usually have a list of days when there were bad storms and they will have your insurance adjuster come take a look. Many homes in my neighborhood got new roofs due to a hailstorm. In my case the adjuster was pretty tough and blamed my roofing problems on simple neglect. They did cut me a check to do one side. Like I said, my other neighbors got a complete re-roof and didn't have to pay a dime. They, of course, gladly took the total amount of the check the insurance company issued.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

I am doing a roof this weeknd. its a small ranch hip roof. the back side is in really poor shape with shingles curled and missing. the remaining 3 sides arent bad.

We decided to strip and replace the back side this weekend. then do the rest in April. that way the back is done and protected.

Dealing with the 7 square is undaunting, the bad thing is we will have to replace hip and ridge caps in April that are only 6 months old
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #13

Ours is a hip roof and mostly one side is missing 5 or so shingles every year. 8 years ago they were curling, added two vents and they haven't curled since then. We do get some strong wind resulting in a few missing shing. Our $1000 dollar deductible might make the insurance harder to tap into, but if the whole roof got done at once, it could help. Thx.

Replacing one side doesn't sound so bad. Thank you for all your feedback.