Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 AM   #1

Share |

condition of decking

Inspected my attic today and notice blackish stains around the roofing nails, slight streak about 1.5 to 2 inches on each side of nail and about 1/4 to 1/2" thick. This is consistent around all nails, but the rest of the decking looks healthy just the slight blackening around nails. Its dark at the center but then is a lighter and fainter black as it moves out. Is this normal for 10 year old roof decking?

matrixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

condition of decking

Sounds like a ventilation problem. More specifically a condensation issue. This could be from winter only or more likely year round.

Do any of your kitchen and or bathroom vents dump into the attic? Does your insulation block the intake of your soffit/overhang vents? Do you even have soffit intake ventilation? What type and how much exhaust ventilation do you have? All these things can be related to your problem.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #3

condition of decking

oh yea thats what i am afraid when they tear up the decking to my roof
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #4

condition of decking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Sounds like a ventilation problem. More specifically a condensation issue.
But if it was a general ventilation/condensation problem, wouldn't I see discoloring in other places as well? Why only on each nail? Does condensation on roof tend to infiltrate a bit via the surrounding nail and would this be normal or a result of improper installation?
Quote:
Do any of your kitchen and or bathroom vents dump into the attic? Does your insulation block the intake of your soffit/overhang vents? Do you even have soffit intake ventilation? What type and how much exhaust ventilation do you have? All these things can be related to your problem.
They lead up into the attic and thru the roof. I have soffit intakes, I assume since I have a soffit and I do see in the attic these styrofoam or plastic blue soffit guards/baffle.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

condition of decking

The reason you are seeing it on the nails is not necessarily caused by a ventilation issue. Research "thermal bridging" and you will see why nails through wood are conducting heat, causing the condensation to concentrate on the nails, thereby causing moisture to slowly wick out into your decking from the nails.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #6

condition of decking

Thanks kinda figured it was odd and only by the nails. However, I did notice 2 to 3 rafters beams in corners that have sap dots all over them. I believe I read that this is an indication of a very hot attic where it literally cooks the sap out of the wood. So I may have a ventilation problem during summer but in winter the condensation is probably not as much a problem. Thinking of putting up some solar fans instead of the small ridge vent at top which does not seem to be working well. Not sure though if they will be powerful enough to suck out the air and not sure what manufacturers make some good ones.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #7

condition of decking

Quote:
So I may have a ventilation problem during summer but in winter the condensation is probably not as much a problem.
Guaranteed that if you have a ventilation issue one season, it doesn't go away during the other season.
Read up on the requirements for roof ventilation and ensure that the soffit vents are not getting blocked.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #8

condition of decking

i need to post more pics on here and have you guys laugh at me

federer is offline   Reply With Quote