Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Share |

condensation problems. GAF or CertainTeed?

I live in Minnesota. I need 23 square on a mostly 9/12 pitch. I have a story and 1/2 with a dormer that has ventilation problems in the 1/2 story. The windows ice in the winter. I was told that a ridge vent would help alot and couldreplace most of the smaller vents. I have 16 single vents! I have been looking at shingles and I had decided I wanted a designer shingle from GAF.

I have not signed the contract with my roofer yet. I have read in the forums that CertainTeed does a better job of helping the house breathe. I am trying to get more air flow into the top 1/2 story.

#1. Is the difference in "breathability" between the CertainTeed and the GAF enough to make a difference for me to switch the kind of shingles I use? I really like the look of the GAF shingles the best.
#2. When I had extra insulation added to the roof, some of the soffit vents got blocked? When the roof is redone is there anyway to go back and fix this? The "plugged" vents are in the unfinished part of the attic along the eve of the roof.
#3. What do you suggest for roof ventilation?
I really appreciate your advice!

Last edited by sped teacher; 01-30-2010 at 09:26 AM.
sped teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Residential Roofer

Shingles are shingles, neither brand will help your exterior breathe any more/less than the other.

Three steps to proper roof ventilation is, intake, baffles and exhaust.

Ask the roofer to examine your crawl space/attic and make sure there is proper intake and unobstructed air flow.

Most roofing contractors are aware of exhaust vents, be it ridge or other styles, but not all understand that it is just one of three steps required to achieve proper ventilation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Shingles are shingles, neither brand will help your exterior breathe any more/less than the other.

Three steps to proper roof ventilation is, intake, baffles and exhaust.

Ask the roofer to examine your crawl space/attic and make sure there is proper intake and unobstructed air flow.

Most roofing contractors are aware of exhaust vents, be it ridge or other styles, but not all understand that it is just one of three steps required to achieve proper ventilation.
Agreed.

I think maybe you should change that to "Most roofers should be aware"

This is one thing we often have over the competition. Anyone can claim to be able to put shingles on. Very few actually correct ROOF problems.

I'd be happy to help you out if you want to send me a PM. We are located northwest of the Twin Cities.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #4

You may need to install an air exchanger. I don't know when you house was built, but code in Minnesota was to install a vapor barrier on the ceiling as well as the walls. You can't push lots of moisture through plastic, maybe a variable perm, but not the poly. Have you checked the relative humidity of the room? I believe it is now code as well to have an air exchanger.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Agreed.

I think maybe you should change that to "Most roofers should be aware"

This is one thing we often have over the competition. Anyone can claim to be able to put shingles on. Very few actually correct ROOF problems.

I'd be happy to help you out if you want to send me a PM. We are located northwest of the Twin Cities.
I am located in Roseville. I'd be interested in having you come by and look at the roof.
sped teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sped teacher View Post
I am located in Roseville. I'd be interested in having you come by and look at the roof.
I have never met MJW, but everything I know about him from the few forums and one roof group we both participate in say's he's a quality roofing contractor and would be worth your while to let him give you and estimate/inspection.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
MJW

Thanks Sly, you and a few others I've seen online, I would also recommend to anyone.

Sped Teacher, our info is on the BBB website, and if you need anything else, let me know. Give us a call and we'll come take a look.

Thanks
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #8

MJW - I am amazed at the amount of roofers who do not solve roofing problems. To fix a roofing problem, putting on new shingles isnt going to help the problem as a whole. A lot of homeowners AND guys who nail shingles for a living (I dont consider them roofers) do not know the a roof is a system in which all parts need to be working effectively.

As Slyfox said, from this forum and others, the information MJW provides proves that he is not your fly by night roofer. I am sure the amount of information you recieve from him will most likely double or triple what any other contractor has told you and it will leave you wondering why no one else explained things like he did. I have not met him personally, but as I said, from his conduct on forums I would feel comfortable with him working on my home.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Here is a little write up that I wrote to help my customers understand ice damning, but the information found also applies to condensation as well. http://reliableamerican.us/articles/...ice-daming.htm

In my experience what I have found from condensation, is that often the house humidity is very very high. Reducing your humidifier usually helps. In addition, when ever you are cooking, especially boiling water, you should run your kitch fan. When bathing, run your bathroom fan and allow the fan to run for 20 minutes after the shower is done. This assumes that the fans are properly vented to the exterior.

As for ridge vent vs mushroom vents, attic ventilation is a science that is unique to each building. Ridge vent works well IF there is equal intake andyour ridge vent is long enough. For example I have found that on most hip roofs (not all), the ridge line is too short to properly use a ridge vent. Also as I said, intake is important. A major problem I see is the installation of a ridge vent without intake. There is no way for us to say what is best, since best varies from building to building.

All exhaust ventilation works better with an intake, however when I can not create an intake (for what ever reason) I opt for mushroom vens. In that case, take the total square footage of your attic floor space and divide by 150 (if there is an intake then divide by 300). That will determine the number of mushroom vents you need. That's another common problem, when mushroom vents are used often times the quantity of vents is too little.

You're not going to have a difference in breathability between any manufacturer. If any "roofer" is telling you that, run away very fast.

The soffit vents being blocked is a major problem contributing to your condensation and should be opened.

I agree with Sly about MJW's reputation. I have known him online for several years and from everything I have read, he really knows his stuff.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote