Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #1

Share |

Condensation on my ridge beam...

My great room consists of an exposed beam ceiling, with no air space at all. Over the beams is some kind of press board, tounge and groove, and then the asphalt shingles. Recently we put rigid foam insulation in between the beams with drywall over that, still no air space. I am getting some condensation on my ridge beam, and although it seems to be only between the beams that are right above two AC ducts and the one beam where the skylight is, I fear that the roof is not venting enough and that I will have moisture issues. We just bought this place, and there were definitely moisture issues previously, there were water marks on the ridge beam as well, we chalked it up to the terrible roof that should've been replaced 10 years ago. We replaced it and the roofer never brought up anything about venting. I guess my question is, is there anything I can do to vent this space without having to go back and install a ridge vent?
D-Hoggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

The condensation happens when moist air hits these cold surfaces. But you need to address the source of the moisture. What is below this room? In most cases this is your problem. If a crawlspace you must seal it. poly over the ground and up to the rim joists is a must. No ventilation should be used. If it is a basement, how dry is it? Use spray foam along the rim joists to seal this area. Air in your room is moving from stack effect. hot air is rising to hit the colder ceiling beams. But if air escapes out the top it must first come in from the outside from below. Fix it there!
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply Bob. There is nothing below the room, it is on a slab. On top of the slab I installed sleepers with rigid foam in between and then 3/4 Advantech, we will soon put hardwood on that. As I said before, where the condensation really is is in the bays right above two wall ducts (that have had no registers). Is it possible that simply redirecting the HVAC airflow with some dampers would take acre of the problem? Otherwise, how do you ventilate a room like this?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Does the condensation occur in the morning and not the afternoons or evenings? More in the winter than the summer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #5

I was actually thinking that it was more in the afternoon, but I am not positive. I have only been in this house for 6 months and I just noticed it this past week, and I have been up on a scaffold working in those beams for a few weeks so I would've noticed before. Anyway, I am in Maryland and the weather has been in the 70's all last week after being very cold leading up to that.