Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #1

Share |

concrete tile roof, tie in.

Hello,
New to this forum. Im a mechanic by trade and I flip houses. Not so much anymore.
I have just purchased a new home. It has flat concrete tile roof about 10 years old, installed when home was built. My problem or roofing issue is an odd tie in question. What has been done was in the way of a repair by the contractor to several homes of this style in my nieghborhood. They all leaked and this one is still leaking. I am capable of making the repair however sometimes what you pay for is knowledge. There are two gable ends coming down to meet each other in a metal valley, problem is they tie in on the slope of the main roof, pic is worth a thousand bad words.... Help anyone to tell me how to tie these in correctly as 3 roofers in this area were clueless..
Attached Thumbnails
concrete tile roof, tie in.-img_20120609_132116.jpg   concrete tile roof, tie in.-img_20120609_132328.jpg   concrete tile roof, tie in.-img_20120609_132123.jpg  

daveadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

I could do it but I could never adequately explain it. Top needs to be further up the slope and wider. Bottom needs to extend well past the 'mouth' in a 'tinner's wing' that tosses the water out another 6" or so.
Waht you have there is a real water trap. Expect to pay $10K or more to do it right.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
daveadair (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
I could do it but I could never adequately explain it. Top needs to be further up the slope and wider. Bottom needs to extend well past the 'mouth' in a 'tinner's wing' that tosses the water out another 6" or so.
Waht you have there is a real water trap. Expect to pay $10K or more to do it right.
Its a mess, should have got on the roof myself, the roof inspector gave this a pass, can you believe that...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

They have the right concept but terribly wrong execution. See that way too many times.

Tiles need removed from that area, cricket overbuilt to give you at least a 2/12 pitch. Low-slope roofing material covering the cricket and two feet up the existing slopes. Re-tiled back down to approx 6" above the cricket line. Bottom edge of cricket needs to be two or three times clearer than what is there and preferably a collectorhead below it with a 4-6" downspout.

You have a very very high volume of water being channeled into a very very tiny drain area with a very low, slow moving slope. All the makings of a disaster. I would expect everything at the bottom of that is rotted out pretty bad by now. I hope you are not in a snow area.

edit: Forget the collectorhead. I see that it runs into that other roofdeck. That just compounds the difficulty. Whoever designed that abortion really should be shot.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 06-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
They have the right concept but terribly wrong execution. See that way too many times.

Tiles need removed from that area, cricket overbuilt to give you at least a 2/12 pitch. Low-slope roofing material covering the cricket and two feet up the existing slopes. Re-tiled back down to approx 6" above the cricket line. Bottom edge of cricket needs to be two or three times clearer than what is there and preferably a collectorhead below it with a 4-6" downspout.

You have a very very high volume of water being channeled into a very very tiny drain area with a very low, slow moving slope. All the makings of a disaster. I would expect everything at the bottom of that is rotted out pretty bad by now. I hope you are not in a snow area.

edit: Forget the collectorhead. I see that it runs into that other roofdeck. That just compounds the difficulty. Whoever designed that abortion really should be shot.
Yes I couldnt agree more. The two gables should have never come togeather into a common valley, espesially one with that flat a slope.
I know the right fix but that would involve the far gable being removed.
It is or was purely decrotive, just a way not to make all the houses cookie cutter. I feel very taken and mad I didnt get on the roof myself, not to mention a very poor roof inspector...thnx.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Well, it is quite do-able but we are just telling you that it will take a very experienced and conscientious roofer and, sorry to say, a few bucks to do properly. That is not a project to cut any corners on or hire just anyone to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
daveadair (06-16-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #7

here is an over view of roof.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveadair View Post
here is an over view of roof.
Try again...
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #9

one more time
Attached Thumbnails
concrete tile roof, tie in.-06-16-2012-07-47-41pm_1.jpg  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Exterior Construction

What a mess.

Gotta love architects.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer

If I was redoing that, it'd probably be 5' - 8' wide at the top and 1' to 2' wide at the bottom. Those figures would be subject to change as necessary at lower end according to the realities encountered when it gets opened up. Asthetics would also come into play around that 'corner'.
It should empty onto those tiles at the exit, not a tiny channel that carries the water under the tile.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #12

ive done lots, and i mean lots, of roofs that have the same exact cricket. i see they used metal, a +. the problem is where it dumps. where i live, arizona, we dont get that much water so putting a flashing that will divert the water to the end of the cricket isnt that big of a deal. from what i see, if you get a lot of rain, and snow, then the best way would be to rebuild the cricket so the end is higher then the tile, therefore the water would run to the end and out over the tile, then down. really wouldnt be that big of a job to rebuild the cricket.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone who replied.. Actually the idea of the cricket had come to me when I was thinking about a fix. But I didnt know what to call it or if it was an exceptable meathod of repair. I think a larger cricket as everyone has described and a smaller diverter cricket at bottom to bring water up and around is the way to go. thanks again this has been of great help....