Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #1

Share |

Concrete Flat Roof - Ponding

My garage has a concrete flat roof that was used by the previous owner as a roof deck (has a railing all the way around it). When it rains a significant amount of water ponds on the roof, up to 2 inches in the middle. Is there a type of light weight filler I can use to level it out? Is there any hope to fix it without replacing the roof?

dsbutler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Commercial Roofing

I would consider Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) for this application. It will last indefinitely if properly maintained.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

or install a drain at the center if the layout underneath allows??--aaron right about the SPF for this though
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #4

I think the roof would allow for a drain if the hole is around 3-4" in diameter. I assume that would be a lot cheaper than SPF. Is this something I can do myself? Could I use a hammer drill? Can I get a drain at Home Depot or Lowe's? The pipe from the drain is something I can handle, but I'm a little nervous about putting a hole in my roof.

Any idea how much it would cost if I had a professional install the drain? (assuming 20' of pipe and another whole through the brick wall).
dsbutler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #5

YOU WOULD BE BETTER W/ A hITACHI sds DRLL and bit to drill the perimeter,then air chisel it through,the drain you would get from a roofing supplier like abc,allied,or bradco,etc-the abs pipe and elbows you could get at the home centers if you want
Old 02-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #6

My garage also has an open deck outside the sun-screened room built above and everytime it rains (unpredictable in Houston Texas) I have to vac pump about 20-30gallons. The low area is right outside the sunroom where you'd step out. There is a drain somewhere underneath between the deck and the garage ceiling, the previous roofer covered it and sealed with gravel-covered rubber-looking sheath.
The same issue with the roof on which the AC units are affixed, standing water in the surrounding area. The same material (tar or rubber gravel), I think. Can you recommend what is the best way to avoid vac pumping every single time and to prevent roof leak?
Your advise is apreciated.

Lyna

Last edited by lynasm; 02-04-2008 at 07:10 PM.
lynasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #7

I could only suggest you repitch the cement floor so the water goes to the drain area-cement is not my area of expertise

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com