Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is it common for roofers to NOT slice underlayment on a ridge vent before installing?

Hello Forum Folks,
We have a new addition with a roof designed with soffit vents and a ridge vent. Our builder laid the underlayment (tar paper looking stuff) over the plywood sheathing and then was on to another job when the roofers came to install. My husband and I hired the roofers directly (not sub-contracted by GC). A beautiful looking standing seam metal roof was put on our roof.

Turns out a year later, we have attic condensation issues. After poking around a bit, we found that the underlayment wasn't sliced before the metal roof and ridge vent cap was put into place. Here comes the blame game: contractor says it was the roofer's responsibility and the roofer's say that they didn't have instructions to do so and it is the contractors responsibility. We live in Vermont and there isn't a code that demands ridge venting. There certainly were visible soffits all around the house for the roofers to see upon giving us a quote and on installation day.

See attached photo of our house sometime before roofers arrived.

I tend to side w/ our contractor. Would any roofer NOT slice the underlayment before installing a standing seam metal roof with ridge vent cap?

Thankful for forums like this,
Jean
Attached Thumbnails
Is it common for roofers to NOT slice underlayment on a ridge vent before installing?-img_1888.jpg  

Last edited by jcarlan; 12-19-2011 at 11:17 AM.
jcarlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Is it common for roofers to NOT slice underlayment on a ridge vent before installing?

I assume you are looking for someone to come out and fix this without cost to you. It doesn't make sense for the contractor to do it. Unless you gave the roofer plans or documents stating he was to cut the ridge, I'd say you have to suck it up and pay them to come out again and fix it.

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Whoever installed the ridge vent owns the problem.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #4

Luckily we haven't finished the interior: the sheetrock closing off that attic space hasn't been taped yet. So, my contractor came back to fix the problem by removing sheetrock sections, getting up in there and slicing it open, then reapplying the sheetrock. I don't want to pay for that work to FIX said problem so I'm wondering for you all where typically does that responsibility lie? With me, the homeowner who hired contractor/roofer?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #5

Question----

Quote:
Originally Posted by josall View Post
Whoever installed the ridge vent owns the problem.
By that do you mean my contractor who installed the plywood sheathing to make the 1" wide opening? or the roofer who installed the metal cap on top of the underlayment covered 1" opening?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #6

the roofers should have cut the underlayment 100% bet they were just lazy to do it
r00ferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r00ferguy For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-26-2011), jcarlan (12-19-2011), josall (12-19-2011), seeyou (12-20-2011), tinner666 (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

The roofer, when you hired him to install the ridge "vents" it is assumed that they would vent.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to josall For This Useful Post:
jcarlan (12-19-2011), seeyou (12-20-2011), tinner666 (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,020

Had the original contractor hired the roofer, the responsibility for the roof and any related issues should have fallen on the contractor and/or the roofer. But, in my albeit meaningless opinion, at the point at which you hired the roofer, independent of the original contractor, you and the roofer assumed responsibility for the roof and any related issues, and, while it would have been great if the contractor had pointed the issue out to you in advance, it does not make sense to me that the original contractor has any culpability in this particular matter. So, while the roofer should have addressed it properly, which would have been a simple task, unless he or she is willing to assume financial responsibility for the corrective actions, it seems like a somewhat costly lesson that you will have to chalk up to experience.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
jcarlan (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

"After poking around a bit, we found that the underlayment wasn't sliced before the metal roof and ridge vent cap was put into place."
The roofer put the vent on. They knew they were venting the ridge. They had to have known it had to be open if they were venting it. What more can I say.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
OldNBroken (12-19-2011), seeyou (12-20-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
"After poking around a bit, we found that the underlayment wasn't sliced before the metal roof and ridge vent cap was put into place."
The roofer put the vent on. They knew they were venting the ridge. They had to have known it had to be open if they were venting it. What more can I say.
Frank wins
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

You say the roofer's didn't have instructions to do so. You hired the roofer, therefore it is your responsibility to inform them of the ridge vent.

What confuses me is why the roofer's would do a roof and not ask you (acting as the GC) what kind of ventilation the house has.

I don't do standing seam steel. Does the ridge look the same whether it has a ridge vent or not? I imagine it is always vented to ventilate the underside of the steel itself, but I don't know for sure.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Doing This Way Too Long

If everyone wants to get technical about it I'm sure you can get into all the talk about "well, legally..." or "what did the contract say?" etc.
I don't work like that.
As a professional, when someone hires me it is my responsibility as an expert to do the job properly and to make sure everything is proper or at least inform the customer and give them the decision. They hired a professional and that person should have addressed the issue as part of the system. Some projects have a vented ridge assembly, some do not. But it's the roofer's responsibility to know this and address it properly. They may not have cut the ridge because they didn't install a vented ridge system to begin with so it isn't going to matter if the ridge is cut or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
seeyou (12-20-2011), tinner666 (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

I hate to open another can of worms, but I guess it ought to asked now instead of later.
Did the GC damage the bug screen any? Did they even install the bug screen?
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
If everyone wants to get technical about it I'm sure you can get into all the talk about "well, legally..." or "what did the contract say?" etc.
I don't work like that.
As a professional, when someone hires me it is my responsibility as an expert to do the job properly and to make sure everything is proper or at least inform the customer and give them the decision. They hired a professional and that person should have addressed the issue as part of the system. Some projects have a vented ridge assembly, some do not. But it's the roofer's responsibility to know this and address it properly. They may not have cut the ridge because they didn't install a vented ridge system to begin with so it isn't going to matter if the ridge is cut or not.
Hey, I agree with you, but.......

When the blame game starts, it always get's technical.

And I really didn't see anywhere where it said they hired a professional. Maybe, maybe not. The only thing we know is that the GC started the roof by papering it in and the homeowner hired another company to install the rest of the roof.....who wasn't informed of the entire roof system.

IMO, any "pro" would have asked about the ventilation. Someone hired as a sub, maybe not.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
Doing This Way Too Long

Yeah MJW, we don't know exactly who they hired. I was just commenting on how it should be if a professional was doing the job.

Tags
ridge vent problem