Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #1

Share |

Commentary About Roofing Answers Requested

For those DIYers and fellow, Professional Contractors out there who have had the opportunity to utilize this board for questions and discussions, I have opened up a personal roofing related blog site. I would appreciate any comments regarding the advice I have shared with this forum and its associated forum, ContractorTalk.com being shared on the blog site as well.

Also, suggestions on how I personally could be of additional benefit to the readers here and on that site would be appreciated on my blog.

Thank You,

Ed

http://rightwayroofing.wordpress.com/

Here is the opening page headline and categories for you to check out.

This in no way is a solicitation to default to that site for your questions, but I would like to build up some topic streams over there.

Most Commonly Misunderstood Or Under-Appreciated Concepts About Residential Roofing

Posted May 2nd, 2007 by
Categories: What Should Be Included In My Estimate Proposal, References And Testimonials And Previous Jobs List, Tips On How To Select A Roofing Contractor, Proper Sheet Metal Flashings On The Roof Questions, Shingle Roofing Application Questions, Attic Ventilation Questions, Introduction

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 05-02-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #2

To you home owners who care about choosing a quality contractor.

http://rightwayroofing.wordpress.com/

This web blog is getting a good amount of positive feedback and please feel free to duplicate any questions regarding Roofing and Ventilation concerns from here to over there as well. The advice will remain archived for many others to take advantage of.

Ed

Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
fhi vinyl windows

Looks like a nice site Ed.
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #4

Thanks FHI,

It is just the beginning, and I intend on putting in many of the research papers I have uncovered into it.

An interesting historical piece I uncovered, was that our 1/300 and 1/150 square feet of ventilation required per square foot of attic floor space requirements which building codes uniformally cling onto as the minimum requirements, were first introduced in an FHA 1942 set of guidelines.

I have a copy of the actual mimeograph of that historical reference.

It seems ludicrous in todays air-tight sealed buiding envelope designs, that such archaic standards are still being construed as being productive, effective, and even tolerated as a minimum standard to accept.

Ed
Old 05-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
...It seems ludicrous in todays air-tight sealed buiding envelope designs, that such archaic standards are still being construed as being productive, effective, and even tolerated as a minimum standard to accept.

Ed
Hi Ed,

Nice site...looks like you are serious about your business...way to go!

A small suggestion on item #7 -- proposal and contract, it may be good to say something about red flagging an "up front" or "before completion" request for money and a link to a simple lein waiver on final payment certianly wouldn't hurt. I have one that's pretty generic I could send to you, it's a form fillable PDF that I've been using as I construct my house, as per requirement of the bank handling the construction loan.

Back to this thread...I don't fully understand your comment, are you saying it's too much or not enough ventilation? I assume not enough, and have seen lots of roofs trashed by lack of ventilation. I can see correlation between the attic ventilation and a properly functioning roof system, but what does that have to with the air-tight building envelope? I've other than transmission of heat and infrared energy into the building envelope, there shouldn't be a direct exchange of air between the two.

Again, nice site, and I'll keep checking in on the site.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #6

Good point regarding a lien waiver, especially from the home owners point of view.

I do have that listed in a Contractor Grading Comparison Form I am working on, which will be exhausively extensive about all minutia.

The point will be for each individual home owner to pick out which questions seem to be most relevant to thier own circumstances and not to have to grade contractors on every single item, unless they choose to do so.

A short condensed "10 Point Guide" has to be limited somewhere so it can fit on one full page without going over on to a second page, and this version is at its limit and font size reduction for readability as it stands now.

Heat and moisture sources. Both, Thermal Buoyancy and Radiant Transmission causations.

Very rarely, unless I am discussing with someone who has studied "True" moisture content in the attic, does one of the most primary sources of moisture entering the attic even get considered. That is the crawl space area which some houses have. This area is critical to be covered with a vapor retarder, or else all of the ground laden moisture seeps upwards eventually and continuously.

The other source of continuous air and moisture transmission, is along the top wall plate at the base of the entire perimeter of ALL homes.

A 1942 FHA Guideline is so ridiculously outdated, it is not even funny. A more meaningfull recomendation guideline would be based upon air exchanges per hour instead of NFVA of static air inlets and exhaust portals.

With buildings being built to such energy efficient standards in todays era, moisture and heat are being retained within the interior environment. Allergies, mold, sickness, insect and vermin infestation, mildew and rot are all occuring more rapidly than ever before, when homes "breathed" due to not being so tightly encapsulated.

Even the 1/300 or alternatively 1/150 standards are not checked or enforced, which exasperates the problems.

Ventilation and roofing manufacturers own studies prove that between 90 % to 95 % of all roofs done and attics vented as a part of the roofing scope of the contract, DO NOT meet the MINIMUM criteria set forth to meet the warranty specifications, which MUST be PRECISELY done for the warranty to be valid for problems related to those conditions. This is an automatic escape from warranty liability in favor of every single shingle roofing product manufacturer, because it is not part of the warranty process to have an inspection done by them, except in the most rarest of conditions.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 05-23-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #7

Good site Ed
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #8

Thank you Gerry,

Is there a particular topic that you would like to see discussed on their?

One additional thought that I have had, since I belong to and post on several different forums regarding contruction, home inspections and roofing and ventilation in particular, was to go back through some of the archived posts, where significant debate with equally outstanding positions wewre made on both sides of the fence, and have them reposted there for a condensed but useful resource.

Ed
Old 05-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #9

Hi Ed

You're welcome. Only question I have right now is the one I put into the discussion on metal over tar and gravel.
If you have any input wth regard to that I would appreciate hearing from you. If I contract work on my shop roof I will be reading your blog in detail first.

Regards

Gerry
Old 06-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Thank you Gerry,

Is there a particular topic that you would like to see discussed on their?

One additional thought that I have had, since I belong to and post on several different forums regarding contruction, home inspections and roofing and ventilation in particular, was to go back through some of the archived posts, where significant debate with equally outstanding positions wewre made on both sides of the fence, and have them reposted there for a condensed but useful resource.

Ed
Snow slidding off of metal roofs, causing property damage and death.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-03-2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Direct Links to Advertising Websites are not Permitted
glorietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #11

That is a good point Glorietta, which I had not considered. The height I am dealing with is about 12 feet above the concreted and paved areas, and about 8 feet above grassy areas. I don't think it will be a serious issue here, as the deepest snow we pretty well get is only about two feet. Ice build up is usually not serious here, as we don' get prolonged cold snaps, and seldom below about 20 degrees F. or about minus 7 degrees C. Our usual scenario is snows one day, and rains or melts the next.

I can see wher it would be a serious issue in colder climates, where the prolonged cold spells, and massive snow build up could be a serious threat.

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry Kiernan; 06-04-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #12

There are a wide variety of "Snow Guard" products available from many manufacturers to satisfy this need.

Just Google the term and you will find them in abundance.

Ed