Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #1

Share |

Collecting rainwater off the roof???

Not really remodeling my roof but i was just wondering what everyones opinion was on something.

I have a 110g aquarium that i do water changes every other week of about 50gallons. The tap water in town is very hard and has a pH of almost 7.9

I was thinking that maybe i can rig up a hose to one of my down spouts coming off the gutter, filter and collect the water at the same time. I hear rainwater is about 6.0 on the pH scale and very soft. I could mix that with my water and help get my aquarium neutral. It rains pretty regularly here.

I know my roof has asphalt shingles and might not be the cleanest but i'm planning on washing it and the gutters. Putting a screen and filter to stop any particles getting into the water.

Anyone know if this would work or of something that might cause this to be a very bad idea that i'm unaware of?

PUNISHER VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE View Post
Not really remodeling my roof but i was just wondering what everyones opinion was on something.

I have a 110g aquarium that i do water changes every other week of about 50gallons. The tap water in town is very hard and has a pH of almost 7.9

I was thinking that maybe i can rig up a hose to one of my down spouts coming off the gutter, filter and collect the water at the same time. I hear rainwater is about 6.0 on the pH scale and very soft. I could mix that with my water and help get my aquarium neutral. It rains pretty regularly here.

I know my roof has asphalt shingles and might not be the cleanest but i'm planning on washing it and the gutters. Putting a screen and filter to stop any particles getting into the water.

Anyone know if this would work or of something that might cause this to be a very bad idea that i'm unaware of?
It may leach some contaminants into the water,minute mind you but for fish?It could be fatal.

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
It may leach some contaminants into the water,minute mind you but for fish?It could be fatal.
what kind of stuff are we talking about? would any kind of filter take out these contaminants?
I was thinking a large in line filter for like gas tanks might help filter out some.
I have 2 extra charcoal filters that i'm not using that are supposed to go on fish tanks that might help leach out these contaminants.

You think any of this might work?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #4

I'm really not a fish guy,but that could work.Like I said it would be minimal toxins,some from the roof and probably more from the gutters.So keep your gutters really clean.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #5

I use rain water from the roof for my 2 aquariums, and my fish is happy .
But I use a 5gal. buckets, which I am placing on the ground under the roof, in the places where water is going down. I place them right before rain and remove right after - to have no leafs, flowers, seeds sitting there for long. Ammonia will skyrocket just in few hours, if weather is warm.
If there is no way to get water directly from the roof, then check water for Nitrite and Ammonia before putting it in aquarium - it can be a major issue, if you have any organic matters in the gutters.
Taty
taty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taty View Post
I use rain water from the roof for my 2 aquariums, and my fish is happy .
But I use a 5gal. buckets, which I am placing on the ground under the roof, in the places where water is going down. I place them right before rain and remove right after - to have no leafs, flowers, seeds sitting there for long. Ammonia will skyrocket just in few hours, if weather is warm.
If there is no way to get water directly from the roof, then check water for Nitrite and Ammonia before putting it in aquarium - it can be a major issue, if you have any organic matters in the gutters.
Taty
I JUST cleaned out my gutters this weekend and they were definitely needing it. There is one area of the house that doesn't have any trees near it so i'm hoping that i can rig up some sort of armature filter and drainage system into these 5g jubs i have.

I have one fear though that i need to check first. I tested the pH of some standing water and it also read off the charts which wouldn't help me any if the rain water is actually that. So i'm going to get a new/clean sample and hope it's got a low pH.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

There are rain barrel systems available on the market for collecting water run off from your gutters. Many of these systems are fairly easy to install with a little know-how and we do them quite frequently. They usually have built in strainers to prevent debris like leaves and gold balls from entering into the water... Most of my customers use these barrel collection systems for watering of their gardens.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
Young but Experienced

Junior aquarium enthusiast here,

I've thought about this as well, and here are my reasons for not doing it. If there is any standing water in the gutters in between rains, that water will likely be over-nutrified and possibly contaminated from the shingle gravel and aluminum, which fish don't generally enjoy. Also, asphalt is an organic compound, and like any other organic compound, would break down into god knows what under heat and UV radiation (I've taken too many organic chemistry courses). Roads, for instance, turn gray and weathered in a few years which means all that fresh, shiny black asphalt went somewhere or likely gave off some by product of natural decomposition.

I dunno, just my own two-cents. A carbon filter would probably grab up most of these "mystery asphalt byproducts" tho. And perhaps the aluminum. The rain barrels I've seen are usually really skanky water and I wouldn't recommend them for aquarium water.

sandersonandsons is offline   Reply With Quote