Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Cold and shaded new shingles not laying down

New roof installed-30yr GAF Timberline NS Architectural shingle. Sun shines on back of house (Nov/Dec in Texas30-60 degrees) east to west. the front of house NEVER gets sun throughout entire day and 1 spot that is entirely covered by a full tree all day did not lay flat. I touched the hot and cold side(sun hit and shaded), checked installation and manually put weight on shingles. Little improvement. Rest of house that gets sun exposure has layed flat within couple weeks but shaded areas have still not layed down completely.
I know this is normal and eventually, they will lay down-but I'm the only one who really knows this with the parties involved.
Other than waiting for the spring/summer months when the arc of the sun will hit the front, is there anything else that can be done? Trimming the tree above that spot in back will allow some sun to reach the shingles but the main problem is the front. Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by A-Btr-Roof; 12-06-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: avoid confusion
A-Btr-Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

As long as no dust or debris blows underneath before they seal there really isn't a problem. If you are that concerned and want to take the time I guess you could go up with a small torch or hand welder and heat them but I don't recommend it. If you can safely heat the attic space under it they will lay down also.

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion.
Did the torch thing. Very time consuming and had to replace a couple. Had ridgevents installed so heating the attic doesnt seem as effective and how is this accomplished? Created some wavy patterns from heating and sealing bottom of shingles. Isn't there another way to heat an 'area' of shingles like a 'blanket-type' heating pad or using a heater? It's the customers' wife who wants it perfect even though I explained it to both of them. Eventually they will soften and flatten all the way but now its start of winter and every sunny day that goes by, the front is shaded everytime and she thinks the job is bad. Final payment is due in a week and I have a feeling I'll lose the promised referrals and have a tough time for payment on time unless its all flat.
A-Btr-Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #4

I don't know much about heating roof shingles but it seems like a heat gun like they use for removing paint would be easier to control and less damaging to asphalt shingles than a torch.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
A-Btr-Roof (12-07-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

You asked for possible ways to make them lay down. As I said, those are possible ways but I don't recommend doing anything. The way you describe it, if this is the only concern they have it sounds like your customer is just being unreasonable. Best of luck
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
A-Btr-Roof (12-07-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #6

Getting shingles to lay down in 30 degree temp like it is 75 degrees is nearly impossible!

I would contact your shingle supplier or local shingle rep and see if they could talk to your customer. It always helps to hear unwanted facts from a 3rd party.

MrConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrConcepts For This Useful Post:
A-Btr-Roof (12-07-2010)

Tags
roofing, roofing contractors, roofing problem