Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

Cold family room since new roof install

When we got our new roof, we went with ridge vents, and at the same time had new insulation blown in our attic, we have noticed ever since this was done, our family room is really much colder now. I was thinking this and wanted an opinion. The area above our family room ceiling is not part of the attic, (when you look at the ceiling, we have 2 sky lights) however the roof guys put a ridge vent on the top of the roof portion of the family room. I believe their is a small space between the actual roof and the interior ceiling. Do you think perhaps we should have NOT put in a ridge vent on this area? maybe the draft is now getting in below the roof in the small space and is leaking into the family room? makes sense to me, I should have thought about that first, now, how to remedy. can we have the top ridge removed and blow in insulation above the family room now? thoughts from pro's appreciated. thanks

turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

A ridge vent in a properly air sealed insulated room would have 0 effect.
Is this an old house with ballon wall constrution?
Is there enough soffit vents?
Got some pictures?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
DIY staff

Please give us a better description of the structure---do you have a level ceiling and tunnels for the skylights--leading to a peaked roof?

Vaulted truss roof?

Something is confusing to me----
Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

Mike, I know when you spent 2 months at my house you were mostly in the kitchen, but here is the skinny. house is 23 years old, the family room has a high vaulted ceiling, with 2 sky lights, has plently of sofit vents, which was done when the new roof was installed. we also like I said added a ton of insulation in the attic, however there is no attic in the family room, its just ceiling, maybe a foot or two between the roof and interior ceiling, which is why I wondered if doing the ridge vent was smart for that area? (now cold air is coming in and sinking down into our room) I think if the ridge was removed, (in the spring time) insulation could be blown in between the joists, I plan on calling the roof company tomorrow and see what they say also./
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
DIY staff

Sorry--I did not look at the name when I responded-----the real pros here are Windows on wash---Gary in WA--Home Sealed and a couple of others----

One possibility, although not to likely----now that the rest of the house requires less heat --the family room may be colder because the thermostat is in a warmer area-----a little balancing of the ducts might help---

Then again---could be the insulation in that room---
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Sorry--I did not look at the name when I responded-----the real pros here are Windows on wash---Gary in WA--Home Sealed and a couple of others----

One possibility, although not to likely----now that the rest of the house requires less heat --the family room may be colder because the thermostat is in a warmer area-----a little balancing of the ducts might help---

Then again---could be the insulation in that room---

That sounds good!
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Good call . I experienced similar a few years ago when I finally closed in my front porch on the north side of the house. That winter, the 2nd floor was noticeably colder because the room the thermostat was in was off the front porch and now didn't need as much heat.

It could also be the new vents though, or a combination of factors. Changes often have unexpected consequences.
wrongdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
DIY staff

Good golly I a smart feller----

I have been in that house and it is well built---(except for some squeaky floors)

I think a call to the HVAC guy might be in order---but then again---could be a venting/insulation issue----

EDIT---The roof is 2x12===stick built

Last edited by oh'mike; 01-28-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added details
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Roofmaster

OK so you have a stick framed vaulted ceiling with 2 x 12 Rafters in your family room. You added a significant amount of insulation in the main part of the house, but not in the family room. You need to have ventilation running over the top of the insulation in the family room and you do, from the way it sounds.

I speculate that the family room is not colder than before, the rest of the house stays warmer, due to less heat loss. I also guess that your thermostat is in the main part of the house, so it seems like the FR is colder. Relatively it is.

I would say that you need to balance your system so more heat enters the Family room or add some additional heat in the family room. A direct vent Gas Log is nice.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the roof installation, IMHO

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #10

This last post does make sense to me, for what its worth, the insulation company is coming over with a new toy I never heard of, (Mike you may want to get one to add to your tool collection) seems they have a high tech gadet out that detects incoming cold air/drafts coming from walls, ceiling, and even detects incoming air around windows/doors. this should be interesting to see what they find.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Roofmaster

Yeah, its called an Infrared camera. I have two of them. Mine can see the studs in the wall wherein cold is transmitted more rapidly through the studs. I use my little one as a stud finder.

The first one we purchased about 25 years ago cost $ 33,000.00 The new one cost $ 6,500.00 Goes to show you how technology has come down in price. The first one is made by Hughes (Flir) is big and bulky and takes 12 volt Lead Acid Batteries (Fun to carry on the roof) The second is made in WhuHan China, and is about the size of a large cell phone.

The funny part of this is that you still have to sign a paper saying you wont sell an IR camera to anyone off shore, even though that's where they come from. Once again, our ingenious federal government at work!

Last edited by jagans; 01-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #12

It sounds as if you have little/to none existing cathedral ceiling insulation. With the exhaust ridge vent added, now you are moving high-ceiling area heat away to the outside more effectively than before. OR the thermostat as Mike said. Is the soffit supplying the intakes at each cathedral rafter bay on the outside as Joe asked? Pics as Joe said and of the inside peak... outside vents at soffit. How To Post Photos Using PhotoBucket Or Flickr

Gary
PS; http://www.residentialenergylaborato...ed_images.html

On our own chatroom; more thermal imaging - basement and walls He has another on his attic.