Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #1

Share |

Cold drafts from roof

Ok, I had a new roof put on my house in early June (I live in Michigan). So for there have been no problems at all. There have been no leaks, there were no huge heat drafts, no issues what so ever. But, over the last 3 weeks the cold drafts have been almost unbearable at some points. This was the only home repair that was done on the house all summer.

I was wondering if somebody could point out what could possibly be wrong or any other ideas about why my house is so cold already this fall.

Thanks, for any light you can shed

p.s. if this is in the wrong forum, can you please move it to the correct one.

shaftman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Cold drafts from roof

Unless they were in your attic messing with insulation I can't think of any reason a new roof would have any bearing on draftiness. Do you know how good the insulation in the attic is? Michigan's a sucky place for this problem this time of year.

Attic insulation is one of the cheapest and highest ROI a homeowner can do to their home.

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Cold drafts from roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Unless they were in your attic messing with insulation I can't think of any reason a new roof would have any bearing on draftiness. Do you know how good the insulation in the attic is? Michigan's a sucky place for this problem this time of year.

Attic insulation is one of the cheapest and highest ROI a homeowner can do to their home.
I wonder if the house was poorly insulated/sealed with an un-vented attic and they added venting.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Cold drafts from roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
I wonder if the house was poorly insulated/sealed with an un-vented attic and they added venting.
This would be my first guess right here.

If they opening up the ridge or soffits and the wind wash is stripping the R-Value now.

Post up some pictures of the exterior of the home (eaves, ridge, etc) as well as some interior pictures of the attic.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Cold drafts from roof

In your area it's suggested to have at lease R-50 which is 12" of insulation in the attic.
If you walk up into the attic and it's warmer then the outside temperature then there's not enough insulation. An unfinished attic needs to be about the same temperture as the outside air.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote