Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cobra ridge vent problems

I installed Cobra ridge vent and have a trail of small oak leaves and those string like pollen producers in the attic directly below the ridge vent. I took pictures from outside and even have the leaves between the grills of the vent working their way in. We are talking about a lot of leaves and the oak trees in the south shed their leaves all year long. Has anyone else run into this before?

dharris008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 6

The RV is supposed to be an outlet for attic air. It appears to be acting as an intake. Do you have a power fan too?

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #3

Which version of the Cobra Vent?

Rolled variety or the 3 foot sectional pieces called Snow Country?

I think Tinner may be on to something.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #4

It is a new construction house with soffit vent at all eaves and no other types of vent other than the cobra vent. The cobra vent is the type that comes in 4' sections and you cap over it with shingles. On the GAF website in the installation diagram it shows a type of screening mesh on the underside but what I have doesn't have this. The spaces between the grills are 1/4" x 1 1/4" wide. This is the only thing that stops bugs and debris from coming in. There is a 1" tall dam on the outside to prevent a blowing rain from coming in but that is it.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #5

Either the contractor removed the filter that is laminated to the Cobra Snow Country Ridge Vent, which is my 2nd close runner up choice of ridge vent, or GAF sells a lesser quality version which does not contain the filter.

Air vent has a lesser quality design. The Shingle Vent II is the premier, but they also sell a Venturi Brand Ridge Vent, which does not contain the filter.

I would investigate this more with your roofing contractor who supplied the product for the installation.

The filter is there to inhibit weather breaching the product to the interior of the attic, plus bugs and other organic debris.

Ed
Old 06-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #6

The vent I used is the COBRA III. The website shows a mesh but the distributor say it doesn't. They are bringing in the GAF rep to discuss this further. I will never use this product again due to it's poor design. I am in the south and you can't find the Cobra Snow Country down here. I will start using the AirVent product with the mesh.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #7

Oh, are you a Roofing contractor too?

I didn't pick that up from your first post.

Ed
Old 06-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #8

Just wondered what kind of vent and how many for this SMALL house?? It is 20' wide and 28 foot long. It is perfectly rectangle and has a gable roof with HALF of the front with an eave over hang ,half not and NONE in back. Right now all there is is a small louvered alluminum vent in each end of the gable. This is harsh Nebraska conditions subject to 105 degree summers(or more) and brutal blizzard winters capable of driving snow thru solid brick(well sorta).

have 'heard' ridge vents are prone to snow intrusion 'here' plus no intake from any eave vents cause limited eaves. When reroofing,soon, I was thinking of adding those alluminum roof caps(plastic cant take our occasional HAIL!!) on the south exposure,,how many do I need?? And what gable vent size and type for gable ends??(for use with vinyl siding)(also being installed)

Thanks for helping me calculate this,it isnt my strongest suit!!-d-
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #9

Yes. I have been doing roofing for 20+ years and have never run into this situation before with this product. I don't typically go in the attics after we finish so this may not be an isolated problem.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #10

4just1don, there is a product called Cor-a-vent X5 which has a flap that shuts the vent off in windy conditions. This will stop driving rain and snow from coming in the ridge vent. I would recommend putting as much ridge vent up as possible and adding as much soffit vent as possible. There are different tupes of soffit vents that can be added to existing soffits. The simplest type would be the round "Plug" vents. All you need to install these is a drill and the proper size hole saw. 4" work better but multiple 2" will also work.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #11

I will look up the mini-louvre specs later tonight, but even the 4" diameters offer "Extremely Limited" NFVA.

Is your attic an open air contained area, or a vaulted ceiling?

Static air mushroom style, (Turtle Vents some call them), are nearly impossible to have enough, to provide the right amount of exhaust NFVA.

Ed
Old 06-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #12

sorry this was supposed to be a NEW thread. My bad,it took it with a heading,why wont it post as new thread??
Old 06-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #13

sorry forgot,normal flat ceilings, roof is about 4/12 or so,,so gets real low on outsides,,,like I said their is ONLY soffits,overhang on a quarter of this house and all on one corner. otherwise zero access from sofit area.

Thought about adding soffits and overhang in process of roofing BUT didnt think it would add any value to this small of house(defined as a forever rental). I LIKE how they protect windows etc,,but added costs would be high compare to just redoing as is. Less cost to soffits of siding job also.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #14

4just1don, There was a product I used years ago called Hcks Vent. It was a drip edge that had a vent incorporated into it. Pretty cool and very simple to install. It gives you continuous ventilation at the bottom slope of the roof, regardless if you have an overhang or not. I will try to find a link for you. Maybe they can ship it.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #15

Check out this link. http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...ventedDE.shtml