Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #1

Share |

Cobra Ridge Vent Or Air Vent Shinglevent ll ?

What think guys & gals? I can pick up the Cobra for about $40 less.

Also roofer tells me Certainteed ridge shingles are singles while GAF are triples whatever that means.

He would like me to go with all GAF shingles instead of Certainteed.

I'm getting dizy thinking about it LOL. Maybe I'm putting to much into this.

Thanks Don

Last edited by Docfletcher; 08-06-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

My Vote:

Air Vent Shinglevent ll

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #3

Air Vent's Shingle Vent II is the only ridge vent product I will use. Go to there web site and review the comparative air flow testing results and the moisture infiltration testing results and order the free DVD's with other attribute comparisons such as an internal attic smoke pot test for actual air flow out of the attic.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #4

Cobra vent Is better.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #5

Well, I see Ed The Roofer has chimed in with some information which he feels supports the use of Shingle Vent ll . Atlantic WB Construction also seems to favor it. Roofer Jim however, feels there is much to be said for Cobra Vent ll. I'm sure you all have your reasons for favoring one over the other. With that in mind I would like to ask you to tell the readers of the forum why?

I can see my ignorance has the potential to hurt me. I say this because I have just found out there is a Cobra vent lll. It says premium rigid style. LOL!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post

Go to the Air Vent web site and review the comparative air flow testing results and the moisture infiltration testing results and order the free DVD's with other attribute comparisons such as an internal attic smoke pot test for actual air flow out of the attic.

The comparison tests are what had initially made up my mind and then the past 16 years of exclusively using that brand of ridge vent without one single problem, either functional or cosmetic, has me sold on my continuing usage of that product.

Ed
Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #7

Nice! Stick with what works. I like that.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #8

An additional reason that I patronize the Air Vent Corporation and utilize their product line, is that they have done much to improve the proper ventilation education of many contractors out there and also building code inspectors and architects as well.

I have a great deal of respect for them advancing the knowledge for all of the industry to feast upon, without there being any guarantee that those who utilize their educational resources will also purchase their products.

Ed
Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #9

A resounding vote of confidence in product and company. Well said as well.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #10

One product that was erroniously shipped to one of my job sites, was the Snow Country ridge vent, which I believe is manufactured by GAF Building Products.

It seemed like a very good immitation of the Air Vent Shingle Vent II Ridge Vent product.

Actually, it was such a good imitation, I was wondering how many days before I saw legal reports making claims against GAF for patent infringement.

Possibly, there are some differences which I could not tell, being just a simple roofing contractor.

Ed
Old 08-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #11

Roofing contractor for sure...Not so simple though.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #12

Shingle vent is great for there "drink the coolaid" seminar where they make you think its better than sliced bread. I went to it, and I also installed thousands of feet of it, However there are several problems. one is that pine needles tend to get traped in the vent and you cant get them out. another is that the baffel warps and looks like spagetti after about six or so years. I went back to regular cobra and im not buying the propaganda or drinking there coolaid. One time or another I have tried every ridge vent out there.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #13

Thanks for that information. I don't want any problems like that. I wonder if others have had experiences like that? If it
is a problem with design I would hope they are aware of it,
and working on a fix. Wow I just went to your website, your very nice website.
Good job!

Last edited by Docfletcher; 08-08-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooferJim View Post
Shingle vent is great for there "drink the coolaid" seminar where they make you think its better than sliced bread. I went to it, and I also installed thousands of feet of it, However there are several problems. one is that pine needles tend to get traped in the vent and you cant get them out. another is that the baffel warps and looks like spagetti after about six or so years. I went back to regular cobra and im not buying the propaganda or drinking there coolaid. One time or another I have tried every ridge vent out there.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
I was wondering if you ever tried OC ventsure and had any opinions on it.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #15
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooferJim View Post

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com

I agree about the shinglevent. It does breathe better than cobra though. I have found that low-pro omni-roll to work the best. It breathes better than cobra and doesn't let bugs and bats in like shingle vent along with the other problems mentioned.

I wouldn't choose GAF over Certainteed just for the ridge. The shingles are the most important part. The Timberline ridge is a triple layer, but they fall apart easy just tearing them up to put them on. The tar strip to hold two of the ply's together is offset too and makes them hard to work with.
We always used to order 3-tabs for ridge and we should go back to that. The are stronger, but don't look quite as sharp if the can be seen from the ground.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote