Clear PVC Roofing Panel For 12'x24 Shed - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Clear PVC Roofing Panel for 12'x24 Shed

First time here. In the process of building a workshop. Give me some input here. Thinking of doing the Clear PVC Roofing Panel instead of asphalt shingles. The roof will only be 4 feet to top ridge board. I am thinking to use the Clear PVC Roofing Panel due to I don't think I could to the asphalt. I think the Clear PVC Roofing Panel will be even a little cheaper and will add a lot of light as well. I will be able to get the heat out as well. I will have a single garage door for getting the heat out. I have Clear PVC Roofing Panel on my patio which 10x30 and it held up real good in the hail (I live in Colorado, do I have to say more). My roof will be 2' OC. Any thoughts or comments

Thanks all

Joe

Advertisement

joe8915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 884

I don't understand the point about getting the heat out and also don't understand how it is just 4 ft. to top of ridge.You can't use these panels with trusses 2' OC.They are designed for building with purlins 2' on center perpendicular to the panel.They are not used for solid roof but for light panels between corrugated metal sheeting on metal roofs.I have used them for roofs in sunrooms before but they need more support than truuses 2' oc.

Advertisement

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

mako1, thanks for the input. Explanation of the 4' high roof. My walls are going to be 8' and from the top of my walls to the top of the roof will be 4'. I can only go a total of 12' high on the shop. As for the heat, I know it will generate a lot of heat in the summer and will not be insulated in the winter. Living here in Colorado, it can be 20 degree's out and the snow is melting when the sun is out, due to the elevation. I have used the panels for the patio and used angle iron for the roof supports. I would beef up the roof using some 2x4 going the length way.

Thanks for the quick reply
Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

It will make for a very cold, or at least hard to heat garage.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
It will make for a very cold, or at least hard to heat garage.

I concur. I just trust my roofing skils