Clear Or Clear-grey Suntuf Roof On Patio?? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Clear or clear-grey Suntuf roof on Patio??

I would love some advice on balancing light and heat with the roof on a patio. We are building a wood deck and half of it is covered. We are not sure if we should use Suntuf Clear or Solar Grey(35% light transmission, less heat transmission). The roof beams and purlins have been engineered for Suntuf with our snow load. We have very rainy grey falls, snowy winters and really hot summers. The open walls of the deck face south and west. There will be grey metal siding on the unfinished wall in the photo. I think the clear panels would be great for 10 months of the year, but I'm worried that they will create a bit of a greenhouse hot space in summer. We plan to mount shade sails on the underside of the roof for those hot months, but I'm still worried that with the clear, it will be too hot. But I'm concerned that the grey will feel too dark on the rainy cloudy days and block too much light from entering the windows. I would love any input you have from your experience. Thanks!

Advertisement

alibaba12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,948

Where is the home located? The passive solar question is a function of heating vs. cooling degree days.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada
450m elevation.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,948

Go clear. It will help much more than it will hurt. In the summer months when it's warm install a ceiling fan and circulate the air.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #5

Really? So will the clear magnify the heat from the sun on hot days? (ie. will it be hotter under the roof than on the open deck beside it?) I'm just worried that we are creating a greenhouse, and we really need some shade...
Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #6

We also are planning to put either the clear or the grey over our carport on the front (south side of the house as well but opens to the east at the other end, instead of the west). I just don't want to step outside into a 'greenhouse' feel on either side, and I don't want the car to be sitting in a space that is hotter than the outside space around it. I just don't know how to determine the effects of clear vs grey in this space. Any ideas?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 342

did you ever install your Suntuf panels? If so, how it is going? if not, what did you do?

Advertisement

tstex is offline   Reply With Quote