Cleaning An Asphalt Shingle Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cleaning an asphalt shingle roof

This is my first post to this website. I hope someone can help me.

I am a 62 yr young widow living in South Florida. I don't want to be scammed by some guy trying to get me to do something that will not be good for my roof.

The problem is that my roof looks dirty. It has dark streaks and clean streaks on it and looks nasty. It is exposed to full sun all day long and has nothing overhanging (no trees, branches, etc.) Why does it look like this? Is it mildew? mold? something else? Another similar roof nearby, that is also 5 yrs old looks beautiful.

One man wanted to powerwash it, but I don't want to loose the gravel on the shingles. I've seen him do this to another unsuspecting woman. He says he has had no complaints...however, the big storms haven't hit yet either. I'm afraid the shingles will fly away in high winds.

Another man told me not to let anyone powerwash the roof! He tried to sell me his product to clean the roof and uses a simple hose to rinse it. All the plants surrounding the house have to be covered and something is placed in the gutters to protect them also. Sounds like a dangerous product to me. His treatment must be maintained again every 6 mos.

Is there someone out there who knows of a way to clean this kind of roof without losing the integrity of the shingles?

Thank you in advance for any info.

Advertisement

DeeF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

I would avoid both the contractors you mentioned.

1. Power washing is bad for your shingles.
2. There are several products available for washing your roof that will not harm your shrubs, lawn, etc.

There is a Florida contractor that post both here in this forum and in the Contractor Talk forum, I will see if I can find his website and post it here.

Advertisement

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Sly, it's Apple Roof Cleaning, Tampa Fla. From what I can tell he hasn't posted since October.
I don't know much about Florida. Are you near Tampa?

Last edited by OldNBroken; 07-20-2010 at 12:59 AM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Sly, it's Apple Roof Cleaning, Tampa Fla. From what I can tell he hasn't posted since October.
I don't know much about Florida. Are you near Tampa?

Thanks dood, I guess I was wrong about pressure washing asphalt shingle roofs?, because he and three other sites I found all show/state they use that method.

I'm going to look into this more before I post any more on the subject.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #5

Thanks for your replys, guys. See what I mean about not knowing what to do? By the way, I'm on the east coast of South Florida, near Palm Beach. I'd appreciate any recommendations for this area.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #6

Talking

Hi,
My brother-in-law just had this same problem and used half clorox bleach and half water mixture in a sprayer to clean his roof and siding. His wife said he started on the front and worked his way to the back. He was going to power wash when he was finished but by the time he came back to the front it did not need it. His wife says it looks brand new, they have white vinyl siding. I know you wash baby toys in the sink with this same solution to kill germs and bacteria, so if it's safe for babies why not on a tough roof? Something that you could look into and is potentially safer.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #7

Thanks, teacher. This sounds like the best solution yet! Do you think the bleach/water solution should be rinsed off with a hose after it sets a while?

Advertisement