Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #1

Share |

Chimney Water Leak Mystery

I have a chimney that will leak water in my basement when there is heavy rain.

I have had it checked out by a reputable roof guy with no evident problem up top.

Flashing is good.
Vent Cap
Pipe (?) is installed properly.

When I open the chimney door during heavy rain I can see the water dripping in. It is coming down the middle of the pipe. It is not seeping around the outside of the vent pipe.

There is enough water that it will eventually run out the bottom/base of the chimney. There is no water in the attic or anywhere else.

There is no ground water.. I have drain tile and a sump pump.. Last time we had very heavy rain and it leaked the water table didn't rise at all.

I did notice that there is a space or about 1 inch gap where the bottom bricks meet the basement floor. Would putting mortar/cement around the base take care of this? Should I pour some sand or sand based concrete into the base of the chimney from the clean out door? Should I just epoxy around the bottom where the bricks meet the floor?

Have any of you run into this before?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Tom

roztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

A picture from the outside would be helpful here.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #3

Unfortunately, I can't get one that will show any detail...

Is it possible that since this only happens in very heavy rains it is because some water is going to come down anyway?

Is this because the base of the chimney where it meets the basement floor has some gaps?

Is some water dripping down under those conditions reasonable?

tx

Tom
roztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Use a hose to simulate rain. Start at the roof, the flashing, then up the stack to the cap. At some point you're going to see where the water is getting into the chimney. That will dictate how the repair gets done.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roztom View Post
I did notice that there is a space or about 1 inch gap where the bottom bricks meet the basement floor. Would putting mortar/cement around the base take care of this? Should I pour some sand or sand based concrete into the base of the chimney from the clean out door? Should I just epoxy around the bottom where the bricks meet the floor?
Tom
I would say no, don't hide the problem. Water doesn't belong in there.

A picture of the chimney top would be very helpful. From your description it does sound like this is where the water is coming from. We need to see the pipe material, pipe cap, and the crown of the chimney.

Maybe someone put a simple witches cap over the pipe, you may need a "high-wind b vent cap". Just guessing here - if someone stuck a pipe through an old clay flue and left the flue open there's another problem. Need to see what you have.
roofnron is offline   Reply With Quote