Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Chimney Flashing Replacement

I recently bought a new house (err.. new to me, built in 1962) and one of the things the home inspector pointed out was the chimney counter flashings appeared to contain gaps and there was wood water staining as a result.

The seller claims they are a contractor and that there is nothing wrong with the flashings, and said any water damage may have been a result of an earlier issue not related with the current flashings.

What do you guys think? How serious is the issue and how quickly do I need to get it resolved? To my untrained eye (never having looked at a flashing before) it appears there are obvious gaps where water could come in. The way the flashings appear to have been installed, I also have a hard time believing they could have ever been water proof though. Am I missing something?

The flashings

The water staining

charliebarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Somebody has made a half hearted attempt to repair that chimney. Have a roofer come over and completely reflash the chimney.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #3

I am a roofer of ten years... I would personally have a roofer reflash the counter flashing... It looks like when it was originally done that it was okay... But it looks like they left the flashing from the original roof when they replaced the roof... So in my professional opinion I would replace the flashing, the saddle, the face flashing and all counter flashing... Also, I would look into doing a clearcoat sealant on the chimney so you know that it is completely sealed at the chimney... Hope that I could be of some assistance... And just fyi... Metal Work is not cheap and have a well qualified company do it...
Tdgimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
old timer

Rewards Points: 75

Not much of a contractor if he denies there are problems with that flashing. The moss on the joints may indicate hairline cracks in the mortar. If so the chimney might need to be rebuilt or at least re-pointed. Here is a link to more chimney flashing information.
Chimney Flashing
dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #5

Thank you all for your help! And thank you dmc@RCR for those links, they were very informative.

Sounds like there is quite a bit more work needed on the chimney than I realized. I'm glad I got on and asked before trying a quick fix.
charliebarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #6

I have a very similar issue myself and am in the process of getting quotes from local roofers/handymen/contractors. However, while I know what the main problem is and what to do about it, I was wondering if you had any recommendations as far what to do about the staining once the repairs are done? Is it ok to leave it and let it dry out on its own? Should I be doing something to make sure that the dry rot fungus doesn't have a chance to grow on the stained wood?

I'm just trying to do the "cheap" fix now as to prevent a far more expensive repair for structural damage due to rotting in the future! Thanks!
whoami5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,990

Even the cap needs work. It's all rusted. If it's just surface rust it can be fixed.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #8

When it comes to fungi or mold... Believe it or not white vinegar spray kills mold spores and fungi on contact... Other than that just get your flashing repaired along with the chimney... Are you in the greater Cincinnati area?
Tdgimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tdgimaging For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-17-2012), whoami5423 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #9

It looks like counter flashing was attached over old rusted flashing to try and cure a leak. Not only should the counter flashing be replaced but the base flashing will likely need it as well.

Michael Olding is offline   Reply With Quote