Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

chimney flashing pics-is this done properly

Can some pros let me know if this chimney is flashed properly? and tell me what I need to look for when my chimney is reflashed. chimney flashing pics-is this done properly-chimflsh2013-01-09-10.38.55sc-1-.jpg

chimney flashing pics-is this done properly-chimflsh2013-01-30-11.18.12sc-2-.jpg

cgeorgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Im not sure why they pinned it. Generally, the counter flashing is broken back toward the chimney about an inch with a 1/4 inch return @ 45 degrees.

The mortar joint is ground out with a right angle grinder, and the counter flashing is driven into joint with a block of wood. The counter flashing is then held in place with lead wedges, which is basically 3lb. lead, cut in 1 inch strips and rolled up.

What they did looks pretty good otherwise, but will not allow re-roofing very easily without damaging the counter flashing if they are Zamac Hit Anchors. You could also see some electrolysis at the fasteners.

On a chimney this narrow, I wold have used a copper cricket, or even a chimney back.

Last edited by jagans; 05-17-2013 at 04:46 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Looks like those shingles are shot and there just cheap 3 tabs, why would you not have this done when the roof was being replaced?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,496

Ok....so 'your' chimney has not been done yet....and you want to know what is right?

Basically, what the guys above said.

But on that one pic done in copper.....you have to love the look of copper.....it will never rust....the older it gets, the better it looks.....

Me? Personally? When I did the flashing on my chimney, I ran a double layer of tar paper under the flashing. I then ran some RTV under the shingles that butt up against the flashing....that way, as the water runs down the flashing....it's less likely to run under the shingle. If it does, not a big deal...the tar paper keeps it away from your wood.

One important point....you don't want nails on the shingles too close to the flashing. As my roofing guy explained....you don't want any holes in the bottom portion of the flashing....and any nails within a couple inches of it...that way if water does get under there...it does not have anything to wick on.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

The pics are of two different chimneys but you ask our opinion of "this" chimney. Trying to figure out what this post is all about.

Can't tell how well they are flashed but the counterflashing is very neat so, using that as a metric, I would assume they flashed it just as well.
Would not have used lead anchors on copper flashing for obvious reasons.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 05-17-2013 at 11:27 PM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Looks like those shingles are shot and there just cheap 3 tabs, why would you not have this done when the roof was being replaced?
This is not my chimney. These are examples of the way my chimney would be reflashed. Unfortunately I had a new roof put on 3 years ago & the roofer did a poor job of flashing under the shingles and reused my counter flashing which is in poor condition. I am trying to learn how it should be done properly and detail that I was not aware of when my house was reroofed.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Ok....so 'your' chimney has not been done yet....and you want to know what is right?

Basically, what the guys above said.

But on that one pic done in copper.....you have to love the look of copper.....it will never rust....the older it gets, the better it looks.....

Me? Personally? When I did the flashing on my chimney, I ran a double layer of tar paper under the flashing. I then ran some RTV under the shingles that butt up against the flashing....that way, as the water runs down the flashing....it's less likely to run under the shingle. If it does, not a big deal...the tar paper keeps it away from your wood.

One important point....you don't want nails on the shingles too close to the flashing. As my roofing guy explained....you don't want any holes in the bottom portion of the flashing....and any nails within a couple inches of it...that way if water does get under there...it does not have anything to wick on.
What is RTV? The roofer who did the chimney flashing under my shingles didn't nail it at all and it can just be slid up and down. Do I assume when I ask for a quote for reflashing my chimney that it includes the flashing under the shingles and the counter flashing or do I need to specify both are being redone?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
The pics are of two different chimneys but you ask our opinion of "this" chimney. Trying to figure out what this post is all about.

Can't tell how well they are flashed but the counterflashing is very neat so, using that as a metric, I would assume they flashed it just as well.
Would not have used lead anchors on copper flashing for obvious reasons.
It is 2 examples of how my chimney may be reflashed-had one pic uploaded and then decided to upload the 2nd. Is it common practice that if counter flashing is redone then the flashing under the shingles is also redone or should that be specified? I was under the impression that the counter flashing did not run under the shingles. That is what this post is about-so I can become less ignorant on the proper way to flash my chimney.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

If you post a pic of your chimney and ask how to flash it, i think there would have been less confusion. I get it now.

If your re roofing then both should be new. If your addressing a chimney leak then it would depend if the roof is flashed properly. You may or may not need to do both...this is where actual pics help.

If those were mine chimneys i would leave it alone, but its not how i would have done it. You apparently need yours done still, so while these look ok there are some installation details that are prefered over what is in the pics.

AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote