Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #1

Share |

Chimney flashing, can I DIY this?

I haven't done any roofing work before although it seems pretty straightforward. I am seeing that Moheco makes a flashing kit that just requires cutting and no bending. It is flashing and counterflashing included.

Is this something I can handle on my own? I am not finding any reviews on the Moheco setup online but it seems like an attractive (easy) way to get around cutting and bending.

Thoughts? I was quoted $500 to do both my chimneys with a little bit of tuckpointing & chimney caps included. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds and really need to address the flashing asap due to leaks.

Thanks guys.

240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #2

Roofing, including flashings, is, as you said, pretty straight forward; you start at the bottom, and work your way to the top. But, in this case, you will need to work essentially in the middle of the run, so although only you can decide whether you want to attempt it or not, I probably would not recommend a repair such as this to someone who has no roofing experience. The obvious problem is that shingles with no nails exposed need to be removed and replaced without damaging those around them, so, again, you will need to decide if you can handle that. The other issus that I see is that you also mentioned caps and tuckpointing, and while they are separate issues, they are also interdependant to some degree, so addressing one without the others is going to most likely be counterproductive. That said, $500 to replace caps, tuckpoint, and install flashings on 2 chimneys seems very reasonable. Make sure that the caps are made of concrete, not mortar, that they are at least two inches thick, that they taper away from the flue, and that they overhang the brick by at least an inch or two.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
240sx4u (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #3

Thanks Dexter. I called a few other places for estimates. Hopefully they get back to me. I can handle removing the shingles etc.. but do like the idea of handing it off to a pro.

I suppose Ill see what the others come up with for estimates and go from there.

Thanks!

BTW; One thing that really worried me was that the guy gave me the estimate from the ground.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #4

Shingling is pretty straight forward,until you run into stuff,such as skylights,chimneys,etc.This is where you run into issues.Flashing kits are garbage(IMO)I make them on site.You still have to cut to fit(kit).$500 to do both Chimneys?Very good deal.A leak could cost you alot more than that.Not saying A Diyer couldn't do it,but they should at least have someone with experience to walk them through the process.Roofing looks easy on paper but there are so many different little tricks of the trade that can only come from experience.1 missed or skipped detail on a chimney can cause you some serious grief.I don't think you will find anyone cheaper and if you do he is more than likely going to rush or skimp on something.Then if it leaks,good luck trying to get ahold of Chuck in his truck.Use a legit contractor that will back up his work.Like I said $500 is a very good price
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #5

I have another guy coming for an estimate in the AM. I am not super convinced the guy that quoted me $500 is a good deal. I do have a buddy who has done roofing, he lives pretty far away but I may be able to bribe him to come visit and flash things for me.

I don't think Ill attempt this alone as suggested above.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #6

Yeah I guess I worded that wrong.What I meant to say is $500 could be a very good deal or very bad deal.It all depends on who does the work.No matter the price,a leaking roof is a bad deal.But if its done right $500 for piece of mind.....is priceless.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
In search of perfection

You can see the job step by step here, hope it helps. You can click on the pictures to see close ups.

http://www.lyonscontracting.com/blog/flashing-repair

Last edited by ZnCuSnRoofer; 10-02-2010 at 07:56 AM.
ZnCuSnRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #8

Yeah, the more I look at this the more I am inclined to pay a pro to do it. I am very familiar with sheet metal fabrication, if I had a brake I would do this in a heartbeat. The kits certainly don't look as good as the custom bent ones. I have a guy coming over this morning to give me an estimate.

Evan
Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx4u View Post
I have another guy coming for an estimate in the AM. I am not super convinced the guy that quoted me $500 is a good deal.
$500 is crazy good deal to flash 2 chimneys and some tuck pointing. I don't know how that person is making any money.

Lulimet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lulimet For This Useful Post:
seeyou (10-06-2010)