Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
JOATMON

Share |

Chimney Cricket - Buy or Build?

This weekend's project....chimney surround for my fireplace.

See below pic (use your imangination that it's on the roof and not the floor of my upstairs bathroom)....the surround will have a 5" B-Vent pipe in it...for the top cap I'm going to use a sheet of 16g stainless steel (I have access to sheets of it along with a 10' shear and 12' brake).

Do you make your own crickets or can they be bought ready made? This box is 24"x24".

My 'intent'....install cricket and flashing around the base....(6" L?) Then I'll come back with the T&G lap boards (clamp is holding one of them) to finish up the surround....then ss cap.

Will I be doing it right?

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
JOATMON

Posted in wrong spot....

My
and

Last edited by ddawg16; 09-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Install+a+Ridge+Vent_798471914_

Going to have to build your own cricket.

DO not install that chase within 2' of the peak of the roof.

If that was mine I would remove the shingles where it's going to go. Mount it to the roof (really need cleats made out of 2 X 4's on the inside with predrill pilot holes for 2-1/2" ceramic coated decking screws.)
Cover the whole thing with house wrap or tar paper, reinstall the shingles using step flashing, install counter flashing.
I then would use 1 X 4 vinyl lumber around the , top and outside edges as trim. This will get the siding up off the roof for less chance of rot. Siding needs to ne at least 2" up off that roof.
On top of the bottom trim you then install Z moulding.
I personaly would never use that type siding for this. If you do it really needs to be preprimed and painted on all sides and also seal the ends where the cuts are.
I'd use James Hardee lap siding instead. If not that then concider using Hardee panels that would be installed horizontal before the trim went on. That way it would look almost the same as those boards you want to use but would never rot or have to deal with peeling paint all the time.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #4

As joe said above.
Ceramic screws are good, but can use galvanized nails, or regular deck screws.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
JOATMON

Oh....I should explain.....roof is bare....no shingles......

The inside of that surround has a 2x base.....I was going to use coated screws. Additionally...the inside is getting primered and painted......

Do I want to put down a layer of felt between the sheathing and surround?

My
and
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Roofing Contractor

I've never had a cricket made for a specific job just make then as needed out of wood and shingle them in.

We alway run ice and water shield around the chimney and cricket and used closed valley on the cricket.

One trick is to kick your valleys out at least a couple inches on both sides of the chase. Depending on the size of the cricket we go as fas as 6 inches on some. We've seen some crickets were they are either flush to the top corners and some are actually short of the top corners and they can leak or be tough on your siding as the run will be forced to run on it.

Although your not forced to install a cricket or saddle on a roof penetration under 30 inches it's still not a bad idea. Code simply states 30 or more inches...
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dougger222 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
http://www.lowes.com/cd_Install+a+Ridge+Vent_798471914_

Going to have to build your own cricket.

DO not install that chase within 2' of the peak of the roof.

If that was mine I would remove the shingles where it's going to go. Mount it to the roof (really need cleats made out of 2 X 4's on the inside with predrill pilot holes for 2-1/2" ceramic coated decking screws.)
Cover the whole thing with house wrap or tar paper, reinstall the shingles using step flashing, install counter flashing.
I then would use 1 X 4 vinyl lumber around the , top and outside edges as trim. This will get the siding up off the roof for less chance of rot. Siding needs to ne at least 2" up off that roof.
On top of the bottom trim you then install Z moulding.
I personaly would never use that type siding for this. If you do it really needs to be preprimed and painted on all sides and also seal the ends where the cuts are.
I'd use James Hardee lap siding instead. If not that then concider using Hardee panels that would be installed horizontal before the trim went on. That way it would look almost the same as those boards you want to use but would never rot or have to deal with peeling paint all the time.
2' of Peak? Per my drawings (done by an architect)....my surround is about a foot from the ridge peak.

And....per the drawings....it says

METAL CHIMNEY CRICKET MINIMUM 26 GA. GI.

At this point my thinking is....make one out of wood and cover with metal....correct?

Joe....on the Z moulding....I'm not quite grasping what your describing....can you expand?

My
and
Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #8

I used to have a tin shop that would bend up whatever I needed in many diff colours, materials
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #9

Looks like this. It keeps the water out from behind the siding and trim.

Unless you have a brake, a shear, HD snips, seamers, skip the metal roof and just do a shingled one.

Nothing wrong with a metal one, just more complacated then it needs to be.

I suggested the 2' to make 100% sure it's far enough away from the peak to allow for that cricket and popper running of the shingle caps.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote