Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Chimney cap question

I just fixed a crumbling chimney cap. But while I was up there I noticed this thing on top of my chimney. I think they put it on when I got my furnace replaced. Im a little concerned because if you lift up on that bottom flap you can see silver - it's not completed sealed and water could get in. Does this look like it was installled correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Chimney cap question-img_6181.jpg   Chimney cap question-img_6180.jpg   Chimney cap question-img_6177.jpg   Chimney cap question-img_6178.jpg  

gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Chimney cap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntman View Post
I just fixed a crumbling chimney cap. But while I was up there I noticed this thing on top of my chimney. I think they put it on when I got my furnace replaced. Im a little concerned because if you lift up on that bottom flap you can see silver - it's not completed sealed and water could get in. Does this look like it was installled correctly?
Looks like they re-lined the chimney when they replaced the furnace which is good. Looks like they used off the shelf parts when a little custom fabrication would have been prettier. Other than cosmetics, nothing there bothers me too much.

edit: I was talking abut the metal flue liner cap/termination. You need to re-do the concrete wash on the top of the chimney or install a full coverage cap. Water will enter where the brick is exposed and cause freeze damage.

Last edited by seeyou; 07-09-2010 at 06:21 PM.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
gruntman (07-10-2010)
Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #3

Chimney cap question

So a full cap would cover the chimney and the furnace vent. I would remove what they installed on top of the chimney and just have 1 cap?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Chimney cap question

You are sying you fixed the cap, what do you mean? I hate to break it to you but that mortar you applied to the top of the chimney aint going to last more than 5-10 years. If it were my chimney I would break off that mortar and build a frame then pour in place some concrete about 4" thick. We do a fair ammount of cbrick himney repairs.

That metal flue is a problem only because it will allow moisture into the original clat flu liner, if it even still exists. If the clay flu liner sat porud of the mortar cap, it wouldn't be an issue. The other chimney liner sits pretty low too. If you were to do a poured in place cap, like I suggested, the cap would be above the liner, which aint so good.

You could also break away that mortar and install a custom bent metal chimney cap. Metal is more common atop framed chimneys, but there is nothing wrong with it atop a masonry chimney. We do both as the need arises. The metal cap would need to be sealed to the metal flu, this can be done with solder if you're damned good, however would be easier to use a sanded polyurethane caulk like vulkem which will last 10 years ez.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Chimney cap question

I suppose a very hacy way of temporarily fixing it would be to clean beneath the metal flange and apply a hefty hefty bead of polyurethane caulk then fastening with masonry fasteners. No guarantee though.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
gruntman (07-10-2010)
Old 07-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Chimney cap question

I'm with Grumpy on this one. Tha's not really a successful chimney cap IMO, which is why you're probably busy repairing the brick.

A full fledgded conrete cap with extended flue would be the best long term solution IMO.

Second to that would be having a tin or aluminum cap bent & sealed over the existing mortar wash.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
Shut in w/o Home

Chimney cap question

Quote:
So a full cap would cover the chimney and the furnace vent. I would remove what they installed on top of the chimney and just have 1 cap?
Yes sir. Like this:
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #8

Chimney cap question

I like the idea of removing the aluminum that they installed, repairing the entire cap with concrete, and installing a flu cap over the entire thing. Im assuming that flu cap can be installed right over an existing concrete cap.

How would you handle the fact that the (sorry it I dont have the right terminology) flu liner is lower on the furnace side vs the chimney side? I would want to buid that up so water runs in the right direction - yes that side is a mess under the metal flange.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
Shut in w/o Home

Chimney cap question

Quote:
I like the idea of removing the aluminum that they installed, repairing the entire cap with concrete, and installing a flu cap over the entire thing. Im assuming that flu cap can be installed right over an existing concrete cap.

How would you handle the fact that the (sorry it I dont have the right terminology) flu liner is lower on the furnace side vs the chimney side? I would want to buid that up so water runs in the right direction - yes that side is a mess under the metal flange.
If you go the new concrete wash/crown route, you need to cut a couple of pieces of flue tile to add on top of the existing tiles and pour around them. If you go with only a full chimney cover, make sure the roof of it is larger than the actual chimney to reduce chances of blown rain entering.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #10

Chimney cap question

I just popped the top off the cover of the heater exhaust. The clay flue tile is just below the flashing that was covering it and even with the wash that is currently there. Its about 2 inches below the side I was working on. I know thats not good. I think Im going to put down new concrete, use a generous amount of sealant, and replace the metal cap (already paid for it and it seems fine) and get one for the chimney side as well. Does that sound like a good plan?