Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

Chimney cap crumbling: any solution

I, I have a chimney cap which I capped two years ago with mortar. That was evidently not a good choice since now its surface is crumbling and can be scratch with a fingernail. Is there any solution to fix this problem that does not involve replacing the entire cap? What about thin set? In case I have to replace what is the best material? I live in western connecticut where there is lot of freeze and thaw and snow and ice etc. Thanks you very much.

Pminca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #2

Pminca,

I found a product made by WEATHERTITE, called flexible crown. Used it about 4 years ago and has held up like I put it on yesterday. Its a latex product and you would trowel over you existing crown (way up on the roof you don't have to be all that neat). Easy to work with.
But, but, but, expensive. Not certain if it was a two or five gal. bucket I purchased, costing around 180.00. As it turned out I went in with a few of my neighbors and split the cost. Don't know where your located, you can do a goggle search and get more info. regarding the product and where to purchase.

rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Metal?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

I`d have the top taken out,replaced,then look at viable coatings

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #5

The cap should not be done with mortar, but cement instead.

This would be a better question asked in the brickies forums section though probably.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

If it's got a few minor cracks you can use a good polyurethane grade caulk for a short term fix. However ultimately the cap will probably need to be rebuilt. Contact a qualified masonry contractor who can construct a custom poured in place cement chimney cap. Metal would also be fine, but fix what's there first.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Chicago, IL

Frequently when I see deteriorating masonry chimney caps at inspections there are significant associated problems, for example cracked flue tiles due to lack of an expansion joint between the camp and the flu or damage to masonry below because of water entry through the caps, insufficient overhang, mis-pitched caps, missing drip grooves on the underside of the caps, and the like. Putting an elastomeric covering on the cap may address some of these, but not others.

Masons will give you differing opinions about the details of "best practice" for masonry cap construction , however two useful links to start with are http://www.maconline.org/tech/design.../chimneyd.html and http://www.1stchoicechimney.com/docu...a-Lifetime.pdf

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 01-31-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote