Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

CertainTeed XL25 Fiberglass shingles problem blowing up

Had a new roof installed in 1997 and a local Roofing Company recommended CertainTeed XL 25 fiberglass shingles. Two years ago we started having problems with a shingle here or there blowing up and needing to be sealed back down. As of later there are bunches of them blowing up. Anyone else having this problem?

Jim Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Plenty of people.
We just had a 40 mph wind day a few weeks ago. The phone is ringing every day with blow off problems. (none of our jobs ) Every one has been fiberglass 3 tabs. We don't install them at all and haven't for over 10 years.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

The problem is fairly common in my area as well.
The roofer will with out a doubt tell you it's the shingle that's the problem but the fact is there is almost "Almost" always a workmanship/installation issue.

Installation of tabbed shingles "3, 4, 6, etc." require near perfection of fastener placement and shingle course alignment for proper installation.
Both of these traits are hard to find in today's roofers, with air guns 'super fast' and dimensional shingles 'no tabs'.

I have a few dozen homes and small businesses I maintain yearly due to blow off issues 'none of which were installed by me' and I work at a lower rate for these home owners/business owners because it's repeat work.
Find yourself a roofer that is able & willing to do the same for you and in most cases you can still get a fairly long life span out of the current roof.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote