Certainteed-Tamko-GAF - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Certainteed-Tamko-GAF

Novice homeowner needs a new roof. Met with 3 contractors one was a idiot and will not get my money. The other two are pretty much equal in price, professionalism, and customer satisfaction. The only difference is the brand of shingle. One uses Tamko the other uses certainteed.

If it comes down to picking by the shingle which would you chose? Im guessing it is purely a personal preference but just wanted to check.

Advertisement

retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Certainteed-Tamko-GAF

IMO it's just personal preference.I might then go with the contractor with the best references,if they both got equally good ones,go with the contractor with the best labor warranty

Advertisement

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Certainteed-Tamko-GAF

Tamko and Certainteed are my 2 primary lines. They each have their own designs and color schemes, so that is why I support both manufacturers nearly equally.

From a personal view-point, I believe that the Tamko Heritage line offers a broader color pallette to choose from, while at the higher luxurious end, Certainteed beats everyone else, hands down.

Go past a current job that each company has in progress and see if their crew accurately represents the image portrayed by the sales consultant.

Then, if all else is equal, flip a coin, or give more respect to the contractor who has persevered in the business up and down cycles for the longer period of time. He has earned a tie-breaker, just for that alone.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 04-14-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Certainteed-Tamko-GAF

Go with the one you feel most comfortable with ,and has laid out the best system

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Certainteed-Tamko-GAF

Agreed. The most important day in the life of your roof is the day it is installed. Proper installation is the most important factor not product selection. Pay attention to the details. Make sure all the flashing is being addressed properly in the proposal. Check past references - and I mean past. Get a few references that are at least 5 years old to see how well the roofs have held up over time. Many poor roofs and contractors will fail within 5 years. This request in itself as well as asking of proof of insurance will scare off many so called roofers.
Abraham Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Certainteed-Tamko-GAF

We don't get Tamco in BC but I know Certainteed offers extended non prorated warranties. Maybe the contractor that is dedicated to a company & can offer one of these warranties might be the difference.

Advertisement

Dale Chomechko is offline   Reply With Quote