Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #1

Share |

Certainteed Shingles

We had a Certainteed shingle roof put on our home 12 years ago and they have fallen apart. Certainteed required a few sample shingles and have told us that this is a well known problem and they will be paying some compensation but will not replace the roof, will not pay for labor and though it was a 30 year life will not be returning 12/30 times the cost of the shingles. The roofer who put them on is a good firm but they are in hiding as well from us since they want more than full price for replacing the roof.

I will never again go with Certainteed and will stick to name brands that will honor their warranties. Just a word of warning for all who might be purchasing a new roof in the next few years.

jrysdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Certainteed Shingles

It's as much the fault of the contractor you hired as it is the manufacturers.
The manufacturers warranty 'written' clearly shows 100% coverage if the problem is found with in (12) twelve months of installation, than the coverage drops to cover only materials, not labor, etc.
Your contractor should have made you aware of this information.

Read the warranty coverage on the materials for your next roof, they all have the same basic coverage.

A few manufacturers are now offering extended "extra special super duper deluxe VIP" warranties if you can afford one, but remember that old saying,
if it sounds to good to be true......

Ask your contractor for an inspection of your roof with in 11 months after installation, if there is manufacturer error in the materials he/she will see it and you can file your claim in plenty of time to receive full 'labor & material' reimbursement.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Certainteed Shingles

CertainTeed is honoring the warranty. Please read their or any other shingle manufacturer's warranty document. Their responsibility is to replace a pro rated portion of the material cost only. This is the same of every manufacturer across the board unless you paid extra for the upgraded warranty, then that too would cover labor. There are varying coverages. Think of them as insurance policies.

Agreed with Sly, it's most likely not the contractors fault the roof failed unless they did something wrong like no ventilation or something. But yes old certainteed organic shingles are failing, which is why certainteed stopped making organics in 2005.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
MJW

Certainteed Shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrysdon View Post
We had a Certainteed shingle roof put on our home 12 years ago and they have fallen apart. Certainteed required a few sample shingles and have told us that this is a well known problem and they will be paying some compensation but will not replace the roof, will not pay for labor and though it was a 30 year life will not be returning 12/30 times the cost of the shingles. The roofer who put them on is a good firm but they are in hiding as well from us since they want more than full price for replacing the roof.

I will never again go with Certainteed and will stick to name brands that will honor their warranties. Just a word of warning for all who might be purchasing a new roof in the next few years.
What is your location? One year in one part of the world is much different from others. A year in MN could actually be 3 years worth of wear on anything that is outside if we get enough freeze/thaw cycles.

It's like giving a year based warranty on an AC unit in Canada compared to one in Nevada. Do you think it actually is the same warranty?

Certainteed is not the only manufacturer with this problem. It was the way shingles were made during that time period.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #5

Certainteed Shingles

I would agree if when calling Certainteed I was told they would provide a fair payment 12/30 since it was to be a 30 year roof. But they state since it was a problem with all they made at that time they are going to pay less. They claim that it is under a lawsuit so they won't be paying out fair value but significantly less. All I know is that I put in a claim on the warranty and every time I call they say they can't comment and will be sending out checks in December if I am lucky. Since I sent everything in to them in June I wonder why the delay. They are now asking for a copy of whoever signed for the package (sent Fed Ex) since if the wrong person signed they will say they never got it. Really getting to be a pain that continues.

If they made any effort to resolve it I would be happy but at this time I need a new roof (in Chicago area) and need to read the warranty carefully before agreeing to any roofing.

FYI, I don't blame the contractor but he didn't answer phone calls which really got me wondering about him as well. Just how life is, sometimes one gets something fair when one pays sometimes not.
jrysdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Residential Roofer

Certainteed Shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
What is your location? One year in one part of the world is much different from others. A year in MN could actually be 3 years worth of wear on anything that is outside if we get enough freeze/thaw cycles.

It's like giving a year based warranty on an AC unit in Canada compared to one in Nevada. Do you think it actually is the same warranty?

Certainteed is not the only manufacturer with this problem. It was the way shingles were made during that time period.
This is partially the reason I said,
(It's as much the fault of the contractor you hired as it is the manufacturers.) in my first response to this thread.
If your selling 30 year roofs in an environment in which you know the odds are it will only last 20, you should inform the home owner/s of this.

That's not the issue here tho, the issue here is that not only did the contractor not make mention of the manufacturers warranty policy to make sure the home owner was aware of the 12 month, 24 month and 36 month windows for filing a claim with good or atleast fair reimbursement,
they also did not call past home owners who they had installed Certainteed roofs for to let them know there may be a problem.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
MJW

Certainteed Shingles

I understand Sly. I just cannot make a prediction to how long a roof will last. I'm sure we have all seen roofs last right through 30 years and others lasting half that.

In the Chicago area, (just guessing) you should have had some storm damage, and the roof should have been redone already.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
MJW

Certainteed Shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrysdon View Post
I would agree if when calling Certainteed I was told they would provide a fair payment 12/30 since it was to be a 30 year roof. But they state since it was a problem with all they made at that time they are going to pay less. They claim that it is under a lawsuit so they won't be paying out fair value but significantly less. All I know is that I put in a claim on the warranty and every time I call they say they can't comment and will be sending out checks in December if I am lucky. Since I sent everything in to them in June I wonder why the delay. They are now asking for a copy of whoever signed for the package (sent Fed Ex) since if the wrong person signed they will say they never got it. Really getting to be a pain that continues.

IMO, this is what happens when lawyers get involved and class action lawsuits. They profit on others' misfortune.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #9

Certainteed Shingles

where do you obtain the written copy of the warranties?
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Certainteed Shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
IMO, this is what happens when lawyers get involved and class action lawsuits. They profit on others' misfortune.
The lawyers are the only ones making money int he class action. They take 30% of the multi million dollar settlement right off the top. The rest is split up amongst the plaintifss (those whos roofs have failed.) It will be interesting to see if the plaintiffs get more or less from the law suit vs accepting certainteeds settlement.

I say consider yourself lucky in the grand scheme of things. There is at least one manufacturer that I know of that isn't paying on their claims, not one penny, zero. Something is better than nothing.

Yeah it's a raw deal that the shingles failed. I have dealt with a few customers who refuse to put back certainteed shingles, and I understand why. I do however explain to them that the organics are no longer made and every manufacturer has had failures. Ultimately it's their decision and I'll put on almost any shingle of their choice. I have no problem with the shingles certainteed currently makes nor the company's practices.

Federed, ask your roofer or go to the manufacturers website. I say ask your roofer first because they should have the proper warranty for your region. You may download the wrong one online.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #11

Certainteed Shingles

Did CertainTeed ever receive your claim? We sent in a claim, it was signed for, now they say they never received it. SueG

SueG is offline   Reply With Quote