Cement Board (Lap) Siding ?s - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 586

Cement Board (Lap) Siding ?s

I'm getting ready to purchase/order siding. I had a few questions regarding accessories, flashing, etc.

*Looking at the James Hardie specs (I'm using another brand of siding however)
I need Z flashing above window trim. Are these typically steel/aluminum?

*Do I also need Z flashing if I were to transition from lap to shake siding as as detail on a gable end? Or can I just go from one product to the other?

*On the inside and outside corners, do you add flashing there? I know you add joint flashing behind each seam, and figured you'd have flashing at the corners since it acts as one "continuous" seam.

Also, at my gables, there are vents (slits) that have been cut into the steel siding, but I also have roof vents. Do I need both?

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

Aluminum.

Transitions as well.

What are you inside and out corners going to be?

Do you have soffits? Ridge Vent or Roof vents? What size and how many?

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Aluminum.

Transitions as well.

What are you inside and out corners going to be?

Do you have soffits? Ridge Vent or Roof vents? What size and how many?
The window trim is PVC, so the corners would be the same 5/4 x 4 pvc

We do have soffits on the entire house, but only a newer addition has vented soffits. We currently have roof vents, but in the next year or two we will be reroofing and adding ridge vents. There are probably 5 ridge vents on one section and 4 on the other. Certainly an appropriate amount.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 534

Need to do something about the lack of soffit venting.
Roof vents are pretty much useless without them. It's like sucking on a straw with your finger over the tip.
They make one piece PVC inside and outside corners that are 5/4, any real siding supply should have them or can get them.
There a whole lot better looking and simple to install.
Posting a picture of the area in question would be a big help.
Consider buying a coil siding nailer for this job.
Makes nailing that Hardee board a snap, and with the small heads it works great on the trim.
Make sure to prepaint all the cuts before installing the siding.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Need to do something about the lack of soffit venting.
Roof vents are pretty much useless without them. It's like sucking on a straw with your finger over the tip.
They make one piece PVC inside and outside corners that are 5/4, any real siding supply should have them or can get them.
There a whole lot better looking and simple to install.
Posting a picture of the area in question would be a big help.
Consider buying a coil siding nailer for this job.
Makes nailing that Hardee board a snap, and with the small heads it works great on the trim.
Make sure to prepaint all the cuts before installing the siding.
Even with a picture, it's kind of hard to explain. It's basically a century old farmhouse that has been added onto. The new part has soffit vents and the old part doesn't...however, the attic space is connected to both the old and new. I suppose I could pull a few sections and replace with vented soffits.

I planned on just making my own corners (inside and outside). A PVC prefab corner runs more than $160 for a 20 ft. piece and I can make my own for less than half of that. Same with inside corner. I figured I make a corner by ripping a section of 5/4 down to size and using that. I just wasn't sure if I needed flashing or not behind the corner, where the siding butts into it?

The questions about the venting was more related to when I get up towards to gable end of my house. Do I side all the way up and install ridge vents next season when I redo the roof, or do I NEED to have gable vents too?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #6

Only need ridge vents.
You are going to wrap the whole house in a product like Tyvek before siding, right?
There is no need for any flashing behind the inside or outside corners if you use a house wrap.
Have you gone on the James Hardee web site and down loaded the install directions?
All the questions your asking is explained on there site.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Only need ridge vents.
You are going to wrap the whole house in a product like Tyvek before siding, right?
There is no need for any flashing behind the inside or outside corners if you use a house wrap.
Have you gone on the James Hardee web site and down loaded the install directions?
All the questions your asking is explained on there site.
Okay.
Well, we are first installing 1" foam board insulation, then house wrap. I'm not using hardie brand, but cement board siding nonetheless. I've pretty much all but memorized the hardie installation pdf, but there wasn't specific information on flashing at the corners (which I suppose I could assume there isn't any as you suggested).

I didn't think I needed gable vents too, but thought I'd check before I sided over the current openings. I would gather soffit vents and a ridge vent would be more than sufficient.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #8

You would be right.
Look into beaded hidden vent for the soffits and vinyl cove moulding to be used at the tops of the walls to transition from the soffits to the siding.
It will help keep the old house look.
http://www.certainteed.com/products/vinyl-siding/soffit

You do know all the window and door trim that's there now will have to be built out before it can be wrapped.
Going to be quite a bit of your going with the foam. May have to go with 2X's.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
You would be right.
Look into beaded hidden vent for the soffits and vinyl cove moulding to be used at the tops of the walls to transition from the soffits to the siding.
It will help keep the old house look.
http://www.certainteed.com/products/vinyl-siding/soffit

You do know all the window and door trim that's there now will have to be built out before it can be wrapped.
Going to be quite a bit of your going with the foam. May have to go with 2X's.
Oh yes, I'm aware .

It's going to be a big project. 12 new windows all built out with foam bard, new siding, etc. oh and did I mention I have three layers of old siding to take off good times
Old 04-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,006

Where are you located? State?

Gary
Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
Where are you located? State?

Gary
Iowa

Another question on window drip edge. My local stores carry aluminum drip edge in 10ft sections and they are 1 1/4 " deep. I'm using 5/4 PVC trim, so I think I need 1" flashing instead. Is this correct? Should I just rent a brake and make my own or is the 1 1/4 the correct size for the trim I'm using?

Advertisement