Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling leaking, looks like some roof issues

Hello,

We bought this house 2 years ago, the area in the picture is part of an addition built about 25 years ago (probably the age of the roof as well). On the left half of the picture you can see the original house (75 years old).

The ceiling developed a wet spot and then dripped to the floor after 2 weeks of bad rains and wind. The wet ceiling is under the middle of the red circle, although I do not know exactly where the issue is on the roof. I don't know much about roofing, but it looks like the downspout circled in blue may be the cause of the issue over time?

I'd like to put off a new roof another year. Any suggestions on a possible solution to the issue? My initial thought was replacing some of the shingles that have been dripped on by that downspout, and then extending the downspout down to drain into the gutter at the front of the picture.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling leaking, looks like some roof issues-roofcircles.jpg  

jwaller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Unless it's some sort of distortion in the picture it sure looks like that whole area is toast.
See how the whole area is wavy, sure looks like the sheathing may be rotted out under the shingles.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Unless it's some sort of distortion in the picture it sure looks like that whole area is toast.
See how the whole area is wavy, sure looks like the sheathing may be rotted out under the shingles.
That ripple is a straight line that runs the whole length of the lower roof section (on this side and the other). The angle of the roof slightly changes there, but it is uniform and perfectly straight, which leads me to believe it was built this way for some reason.
jwaller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

I wonder if it is the wall flashing. That gutter essentially diverts all the water from that upper roof along that wall, so I bet it is overwhelming the flashing (or lack thereof). Try installing a piece of downspout onto the elbow you circled so it dumps the water into the lower gutter.
shazapple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

First off, extend the downspout down to the gutter below. As for the leaking, I would also go with a flashing issue at the wall meeting the roof.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

You need to open up the roof above where you are getting the drip inside, and trace the leak back to its source. Look for improper base (Step) flashing at the break in the roof. The deck looks wavy to the right so be careful you dont fall through. Can you see this area from below in the attic? If you can, shoot some pictures there and post them.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,496

have you been in the attic to look at that section of roof from inside? It does not look flat.

While that down spout might 'add' to the problem....I don't think it's your problem. But is worth correcting later.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote