Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Cedar shingles connecting to asphalt shingle-how to flash?

This could be to Ed the Roofer,

Thanks first for the effort, this is my first post.
I have a cedar siding home and I may have leaks where the previous owner connected a sunroom to the home. It looks to me that he put asphalt shingles on the slightly pitched roof, then TARRED it only to connect it to the cedar siding at the joint.
How could I add flashing or replace\repair the tar? I have Henry's 212 clear roof patch, I could go get any flashing,etc......any ideas?
Thanks so much in front--scott
Attached Thumbnails
Cedar shingles connecting to asphalt shingle-how to flash?-roof-left.jpg   Cedar shingles connecting to asphalt shingle-how to flash?-roof-right.jpg  

Last edited by scottyoung; 08-03-2008 at 03:21 PM.
scottyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

your best to post a picture so we can see what is going on. A picture speaks a thousand words. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #3

I am newbie--so entering pics hopefully not too hard--goin up on roof now.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #4

The Correct Way Is To Remove The Clap Board,marking Each Peice As You Remove It. From What I Can Seethe Clap Board Runs Behind The Roof Rafters. So It Will Have To Be Cut. I Would Remove The Singles That Are Tared And Replace Them With New. Then Install Some Ice Sheld Over The Roof And Up The Wall Of The House Behind Thefelt Or Rosin Paper What Ever Is There. Once The Shingles Are Installed Ru Your Step Flashing Up The Wall Under The Shingles Nailing Them Into The Wall. Mark And Cut Your Clapboard To Clean Up The Previous Cut That You Made To Remove It. Pay Attiontion By That Exhaust Vent. Thats How I Would Handle This . Ed The Roofer Might Have An Easeir Solution. Which I Would Be Interasted In Knowing. Bob
Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #5

If You Need To Remove The Clap Board I'll Be Happy To Guide You Through The Process. Bob
Old 08-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Actually, depending on where the nails are in the siding, you may be able to sawcut the siding, cut every shingle at the keyway closest to the roof and remove those shingles.

We like to use a cordless skilsaw because they have about 1" distance on the short side of the plate. just use the roof as your guide AFTER you remove the old shingles.

Then you just use a flatbar to open the siding and slide your stepflashing in as you work up the roof.

As I said, it depends on where the nails are. You may not be able to do it but if you can it is much easier than removing all the siding. If not, then what buletbob said.

That vent is gonna be a bugger to deal with. I hope you have some roofing experience too because, although it is pretty straightforward for us, it isn't too easy for just anyone who's never done it before.

BTW, that's cedar lap, not cedar shingles...and the shingles look like OC desert tan if you needed to know.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 08-03-2008 at 04:53 PM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #7

THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS!!! Just need to know what a "keyway" is----and your answer using a pry bar to gain enough room to slide in the flashing under the siding seems easier than the previous answer--If this helps, the house was built years (6) before the room in question was put on butted up next to it.
I'm also "term poor" so cutting the siding is no problem, could you describe where to cut the cedar differently? I didn't quite get where BuletBob was saying to cut the cedar lap-----Thanks Scott
Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

The keyway is the gap between each tab of shingle.

Buletbob is thinking the roofdeck is butted up against the siding so you will have to cut the siding along the roof deck to remove it. It looks to me like the siding was installed after the addition was finished. If his eyesight is better than mine then you will have to cut the siding at the roofdeck before you can remove it, if you go that route. Then when you re-install it, recut it to a more accurate and clean finish cut.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
The keyway is the gap between each tab of shingle.

Buletbob is thinking the roofdeck is butted up against the siding so you will have to cut the siding along the roof deck to remove it. It looks to me like the siding was installed after the addition was finished. If his eyesight is better than mine then you will have to cut the siding at the roofdeck before you can remove it, if you go that route. Then when you re-install it, recut it to a more accurate and clean finish cut.
Yes you explained everything to a T oldnbroken. Thanks. also I was assuming they butted the room to the siding from what I saw plus the way the company installed the room, and not flashing it correctly gave me cause that they did not cut the siding. Thanks again BOB
Old 08-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Oh am sure you also see all kinds of crap done out there. Just when you think you've seen it all....yada yada yada.

Keeps our work interesting don't it.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #11

Thanks guys--The deal is....
The house stopped right at the cedar lap before. The owner, believe it or not, built this for himself and lived in it. Before there was a deck there, but he didnt leave the lap on, because the the sunroom (what we call the extension under the shingles) on the inside is finished (nicely too I might add). He took the cedar lap off the whole side of the house, put the sunroom on, then lapped it down to the roof (of the sunroom).Everything else SEEMS to be done well, as I said Ronnie P., the owner/builder did a decent job on most everything. One of the reasons we bought the house was because a builder owned it.
What do I need to saw of the cedar lap? I think you are saying just cut it with a sawzall along the shingle line with the angle of the roof. I get what to do with the flashing UNDER the shingles--I think I also get which shingles to remove (the shingles butting up against the lap)
How the hell (excuse my FRENCH) did he think he could get away with just tarring between the two rooms??? This is out of character with the rest of his work.....I guess he was a "jack of all trades, not-master of roofing(?) AND.....I have two weeks to do this, on a personal note, I was fired from my job two weeks ago-victim of a job being sent to Latin America (downsizing) But I found a job that starts on the 18th. So money is an issue, not time.
I guess what I am asking is a description of the job for a roofing dumba*%

Thanks AGAIN,sorry to be a pest-Scott

Last edited by scottyoung; 08-04-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #12
Doing This Way Too Long

From your description, follow the steps I originally gave you. Sawzall is the last resort for cutting the siding. A cordless skilsaw is best because of the clean finish and the distance from the left side of the plate to the blade is approx 1". this is a nice exposure for your siding and still gives you room to slide the stepflashings up behind.

1. Start from the ridge. remove first four ridge pieces and start cutting and remove last tab of shingles all the way down both sides of roof. Clean up the mastic as best you can to ensure smooth cut.

2. Once siding and roofdeck are clean and smooth, set depth of cordless skillsaw to thickness of thickest area of siding. A little too deep isn't going to cause the bldg to collapse but if you're gonna do it, do it as right as you can. Using the roofdeck as your saw guide, run the saw up the one side and down the other, cutting the bottom of the siding. That vent and that window below may cause you some hassle. If you have to, when you are all done carefully use sawzall and/or chisel to cleanup parts you couldn't get to. (remove that vent first if possible)

3. Begin at bottom, slide first stepflashing behind siding, install first shingle, nail shingle. (btw, it is not necessary to fasten the flashing behind the wall so don't worry about that, just nail it down with the shingles.)

4. Slide next stepflashing. (position bottom edge of all step just above the bottom of the shingle you are installing on top of it.) Cut next shingle to fit and nail over step you just installed.

5. Repeat step four.

Very important that the bottom edge of the first step you install DOES NOT go behind the siding or any trim. When you install the first one, look at it and THINK LIKE WATER....where is it going to go when it flows down your roof along that wall and hits that bottom step. Many times we find it running right behind the siding. And do not look at it and say "oh I'll just caulk that". Your metal must exit from behind the siding somehow at the bottom of your run.

Hope you understand this because I have to take a crew 400 miles away for two weeks here in a few hours so I won't be able to respond. Not looking forward to that.

Good Luck and all the best on your new employment venture.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 08-04-2008 at 10:31 AM.