Cedar Shingles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cedar shingles

I recently installed cedar shingles on the outsude walls of a shed but didn't leave any spacing between the shingles which I later found out is the best practice. Can anyone tell me what may happen without the spacing? Thanks, Rick.

Advertisement

rick2443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

cedar shingles

They will absorb moisture, swell, than cup, and start popping off and/or splitting. Did you at least use felt paper under them?

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #3

cedar shingles

Yes, I used felt paper, will that reduce the swelling or should I remove them and start over. I did about 11 courses 8 ft long. Rick.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

cedar shingles

Felt paper will NOT have a real effect on the shakes BUT it is very important to protect the sheathing on the building. When moisture gets behind the shakes it cannot get to the sheathing, ( in theory :} )
As to "what now?" Tuff call. More questions than answers :{
First where are you located?
Have you had any rain on them yet?
If so how long have they been drying?
I have put shakes on and butted them together but all those installs were on Painted jobs. Shakes were never really sitting exposed for more than a week or two b4 painted. Painting of course sealed everything.
IF you are going to paint this, then I would NOT remove em but I would get the job finished asap and at least primed b4 it does rain on em.
On the remainder I would just gap em a tad, maybe use a shake nail between shakes and be very sure you overlap the seams by several inches not just a tiny amount. My personal prefered overlap is a half shingle.Other will have their choice, that is just mine :}:}
In the unreal perfect world that WE dont live in LOL LOL Yes they should be re done You did run undercourse also right?

Last edited by skymaster; 07-06-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

cedar shingles

Since you put on so few, remove them and install them correctly.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,006

cedar shingles

Just some reminders: http://www.cedarbureau.org/installat...ual/page04.htm

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #7

cedar shingles

I live in Ontario, near Bancroft, I wasn't going to paint them, but stain them, would that help?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Custom Cabinet Maker

cedar shingles

Ed the Master has spoken!!!!!!! Thou shalt NOT disobey
Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #9

cedar shingles

tell me if this is wrong, I looked at the layout on http://www.cedarbureau.org/installat...ual/page04.htm, but what I did was covered the sheathing completelywith the felt, strapped on top of it and nailed my shingles to the strapping. Do you think this is OK? I don't think I researched this enough before I started. Rick.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #10

cedar shingles

Can you post a couple of photos of the work done so far?

Also, if you change to the correct spacing for the rest, the first part that you did will stand out like a sore thumb.

Ed
Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Custom Cabinet Maker

cedar shingles

Actually you went into alot more work than I do :}:}:}:} NO you should be fine, You actually have a given those shake alot more "breathin" space than just nailing em into the sheathing as is normal. Just be VERY sure that the bottom strapping is NOT creating a dam!!!!!!! That strapping can hold back any water that runs behind those shakes and pool up creating a real nightmare in the future.In fact the more I think about it the less I like it. Again tho thats only my opinion. I am sure His Majesty Ed will enlighten os lowly unwashed masses ROFLMAO Sir Ed
Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #12

cedar shingles

Also, that previous link was for Roofing Applications. I do believe that you said you installed this as a Siding Application, so view the Wall Installation Instructions.

Check out the PDF's from this page of their site:

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installation/wall-manual.htm

Ed
Old 07-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
Custom Cabinet Maker

cedar shingles

Damn sneaky Sir Ed snuck right in while I wuz typing. Yes it will be quite noticeable with the change in spacing.
By Royal Decree of Sir Ed ; OFF WITH THOSE SHAKES !!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL
Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,006

cedar shingles

Good catch Ed. I posted roof instead of wall application. That's the first mistake I made to date-- err today. Lol. That's why forums are so good, others can catch wrong info to new members like Rick. Sorry Rick, for the extra stress of mixing you up when you are trying to do a good job. Keep the questions coming as all of us here enjoy answering. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #15

cedar shingles

thanks for all your coments, this is very helpful. It looks like on the wall layout you don't require strappig, but would you agree that there is a benefit, and when I remove and repalce the shakes with the correct spacing I should leave it? This area of the cabin has a deck and retains alot of snow in the winter, I could imagine that the melting snow would soak the shakes and beyond, perhaps I should make slots in the strapping to allow the water to escape (as you mentioned Skymaster, I don't want to make a dam) Do you guys think this is all reasonable, or should I dispense with the strapping, thanks again for all your thoughtful input. Rick.

Advertisement