DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is Cedar Closet causing Roof Failure?

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jagans 
#1 ·
The roof (asphalt shingles) isn't new roofed in mid 1990's - The roof looks in good condition Except shingles have lifted off some fallen off. Roof on west side of house looks fine, no lifting, etc. The East side of the house looks fine except the area that is over the attic where we put a cedar closet shortly before it was reroofed.

The area that the east roof covers is mostly an attic that we finished and then added a cedar closet of sorts. We put the cedar boards across the rafters - didn't put any insulation in that area.

The roof actually (in that area where the cedar closet) looks worse than when we had it reroofed.

It's English cottage style wrapped roof edges on the north & south edges - I don't have a camera to get pictures.

Is the Cedar Closet causing this issue?

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. When we had the new shingles put on - they completely removed old shingles and replaced with 3? tab. the orignal roof didn't have holes cut in for vents (not explaining that right), but that roof evidentally lasted well over 20 years. In our gutters the granules from the shingles are coming off realy bad. From some pictures on the net the shingles are cupping.
I'm inclined to think that the shingles in that area have just wore out and it's not that we built the cedar closet incorrectly- .
We're inclined to leave the cedar closet alone -- and get the east portion of the roof replaced - the West (somewhat protected by trees) looks smooth & great with no disingration of the asphalt shingles.

#8 ·
From your original description, and your last post, your roof is probably shot. Low end three tab shingles produced with a fiberglass mat reached a point where they hardly had any asphalt there for a while in the 80's and into the 90's with some manufacturers. If you look at them close with a magnifying glass and you see spiderweb cracking the asphalt has oxidized and cracked, its time for a new roof. Certainteed Landmarks are really nice shingles. They cost a little more, but they are worth it IMHO.

#10 ·
Thats fine, I am sure Certainteed makes a three tab also. The point is this: If you were to take GAF as an example, The Royal Soverign is OK but the Marquee has a heavier fiberglass mat, and it therefore takes more asphalt to properly coat the mat. You basically get a lot better shingle for a little more money. I have been through several shingle plants on tours with RCI. Asphalt shingles are basically at the low end of the steep roofing spectrum, to go to the very bottom of the low end is not wise, as shingle manufacturers actually use the statistical 10 year home turnover rate for their low end products. It is really cut-throat at that level. :(

Some of the good steep roofers on this forum can steer you in the right direction

#13 ·
Have YOU crawled up and taken a look first hand at the actual roof condition from roof level?? As a diy'er its striking how much difference in looking from the ground and looking at the roof from the roof. My guess is you prob need to reroof entire house,,,with the one side just looking worse which is quite normal.

If you are not able to do it your self get someone you trust, and experienced in same to do it for you.

#14 ·
Roofing one side of a house is not a good idea, in my opinion. I would not do it, and I think that anyone that does barks at the moon. This is a three tab roof installed in the 90's, it is tired, and walking on the "good side" will invariably cause problems in it. Pictures would be nice, as the leak might have nothing to do with the condition of the roof. I have seen an improperly flashed chimney lead to a whole new roof more times than I would like to mention, but such is the game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.