Caulk Whre The Roof Meets The House? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Caulk whre the roof meets the house?

I need some advice. I just had a roof installed and wanted to know the area where the first floor roof meets the house should be caulked? Flashing is installed, but I want to be sure that there's no risk of water/snow getting up behind the siding. Pictures below.

Thanks!
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Caulk whre the roof meets the house?-p1010493.jpg   Caulk whre the roof meets the house?-p1010496.jpg  

Advertisement

MarkHipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

For Starters:

1) No, you do NOT want to caulk this junction.

2) The detailing of the siding job is incorrect, there should be properly installed "J" channel at the bottom of the siding above the roof:

3) Was the junction "step" flashed:

or flashed with a continuous piece of metal? Per code, step flashing is required there.

4) Special attention should have been paid to the flashing at the bottom corners of the dormer, for example:

If the dormer wall extends down to the edge of the roof, there should be a "kick out" flashing directing water away from the corner of the dormer:

see the article at: http://paragoninspects.com/kickout-f...hicago-il.html

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Sorry for bumping a very old thread I have the same sort of incorrect install, I am not sure even if the junction was step flashed but water has ran down this area and also with out a kick out water got behind the siding and rotted it.

I have some sort of drop siding I believe its pretty thin. I am planning to try and correct it this error that had caused rotting in 2 places, The J channel was the correct method to use in terms of vinyl flashing for wood drop siding what is the correct method to use for where the roof is butting up against the dormer ?.

I am planning at replacing and the rooted sliding. Using step flashing and rubber flashing and then to also use a kickout to redirect the water but need to know what other recommendations you have.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,300

The recommendations in the article above are pretty spot on.

The only other thing I would ad that may or may not be in the article is that you should not run the siding down that close down to the roof surface. It should have ample expansion and contraction room.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote