Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #1

Share |

Caulk or Not

Hey guys, new here, quick question.

I am painting my house had to remove gutters to replace fascia where birds had gotten in and messed it all up. Anyway, at the top of the fascia where the roofline meets the fascia there is anywhere from 1/8 inch gap to a 1/2 inch gap. Do I caulk this area? I already caulked some and halfway through it thought to myself......"If it wasn't caulked before, maybe there was a reason."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Titans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

Caulk or Not

better to have a piece of metal flashing at that point than trying to caulk it

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #3

Caulk or Not

Thanks for the response. Here is a follow up question. Once I removed the gutters I found this:

1) On the side of the house there is a 10 inch fascia board with a two inch strip of fascia board above it (12 inches total: one 10 inch and one 2 inch) on the side of the house the roof lies directly on this 2 inch strip and thus the gap that is 1/8 to 1/2 inch

2) On the front of the house there is no 2 inch strip. So the gap along the front of the house is 2 inches to 2 and 1/2 inches.

On both the side and the front of the house there is metal flashing covering up the 2inch (front) or 1/2 inch (side) gap.

Should I add the 2inch fascia board along the front or just stick with the flashing?

I'm not concerned with water infiltration as this has never been an issue. My real concern is 1) bugs and 2) cold air iniltration/hot air infiltration.

The fact that there are vents along the sofits tell me that cold/hot air infiltration should not be a concern of mine...what about bugs, the flashing hasn't and will not keep bugs out.

I really appreciate any input.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #4

Caulk or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans View Post
Thanks for the response. Here is a follow up question. Once I removed the gutters I found this:

1) On the side of the house there is a 10 inch fascia board with a two inch strip of fascia board above it (12 inches total: one 10 inch and one 2 inch) on the side of the house the roof lies directly on this 2 inch strip and thus the gap that is 1/8 to 1/2 inch

2) On the front of the house there is no 2 inch strip. So the gap along the front of the house is 2 inches to 2 and 1/2 inches.

On both the side and the front of the house there is metal flashing covering up the 2inch (front) or 1/2 inch (side) gap.

Should I add the 2inch fascia board along the front or just stick with the flashing?

I'm not concerned with water infiltration as this has never been an issue. My real concern is 1) bugs and 2) cold air iniltration/hot air infiltration.

The fact that there are vents along the sofits tell me that cold/hot air infiltration should not be a concern of mine...what about bugs, the flashing hasn't and will not keep bugs out.

I really appreciate any input.

I think the 2'' piece is your 1x2 usually nailed on top of the facia board at it's highest point, and the " flashing'' over top of it is the dripedge. I prefer a facia board with the 1x2, but it's not absolutley neccessary. Above that should only be your plywood roof boards, I don't think you need to caulk this area so high up under the dripedge, since the drip will cover all this area.
getrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #5

Caulk or Not

Thanks for the reply.

I have a problem with wasps and bees getting into the area behind the fascia...which ultimately lets them into my attic. If I caulk all of this won't it reduce the ability of the wasps and bees to get in?

Also, my house is brick, so the where the brick ends and the sofits begin there is a trim board along the house, I watched a wasp walk up the mortar and walk behind the trim board and presumably into the sofit. Should I caulk this area?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #6

Caulk or Not

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I have a problem with wasps and bees getting into the area behind the fascia...which ultimately lets them into my attic. If I caulk all of this won't it reduce the ability of the wasps and bees to get in?

Also, my house is brick, so the where the brick ends and the sofits begin there is a trim board along the house, I watched a wasp walk up the mortar and walk behind the trim board and presumably into the sofit. Should I caulk this area?

Thanks
Yes, the area behind or actually the back side of the facia board should be completly caulked, where it meets the sofit, with a decent exterior caulk. and yes again I would caulk the area where brick meets sofit to keep out all insects.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #7

Caulk or Not

What about where the 1x2 fascia meets the larger fascia and what about where the 1x2 meets the roof line?

Thanks so much.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #8

Caulk or Not

Quote:
What about where the 1x2 fascia meets the larger fascia and what about where the 1x2 meets the roof line?

Thanks so much.
I would believe that the Dripedge would cover all these areas, especially where the 1x2 meets the roof line. Do you have a Dripedge over top of the 1x2? I know on Cedar Shake Wooden Shingle Roofs there is usually not any Dripedge, but almost always on every other roof. I don't think it is necessary to caulk where the 1x2 meets the facia, this area should be very tight as it is nailed directly onto the facia. The area where it meets the roof line should not even be accessable if you have a Dripedge. Hope this is not confusing matters for you.