Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Cathedral Ceiling - How much venting do I need?

Guys, meet my roof. Well, part of it anyways. The raised part is the cathedral section.

Here's the exhaust side of the venting. Aluminum soffits are covering up cedar with holes drilled into it. Haven't pulled them down yet to see exactly how much there is.

Found a site about calculating proper attic ventilation (http://www.trinityexteriorsinc.com/1...n-5-easy-steps), wondering if you could check my calcs below and see if I'm correct.

Area = 25' x 23' = 575 sq ft

TFNVA = 575 sq ft / 150 = 3.83 sq ft

Convert to inches = 3.83 sq ft * 144 = 552 sq in

Intake = 60% = 331 sq in
Exhaust = 40% = 221 sq in

So if I pull down the soffits, count the number of joist bays I have, figure out the size of hole I need to cut in each to total 331 sq in on the intake side, I should be good, right? If that's ok, should I staple in some screen material over the holes to keep the critters out or do the soffits do that already?

I'm not positive but I don't think I have to worry about baffles (don't think the insulation is up that high in the "attic")

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by burnt03; 10-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Any reason you are concerned? There would have to be 12 1" holes per foot in order to have adequate ventilation. I'm going to guess that isn't the case. If you cut a 1" wide slot the entire length you should meet your vent area.

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I had pulled a piece of soffit down on the exhaust side to check out where a bat had been living and noticed that there looked to be 1 - 1 1/2" hole every foot or so, so like you say, nowhere near the amount of venting needed.

Cutting a strip out is a way better idea than a bunch of random holes, thanks
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Ditch the soffit vent. Look into the Air Vent, Inc. Peak Filter Vent. I commonly use it on projects like yours. It is continuous so will give you maximum exhaust. You should also look into some intake.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote