Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Cathedral ceiling condensation

I'm having the same problem as the person in this feed. And also my spouse died 6 months ago in an accident. The difference is that the cathedral ceiling is in a new part of the house. The top of the ceiling is directly under the roof and the lower half is in an attic crawl space. The rafters are 2x6 with a new singles outside the entire roof. There is a foam board installed that is designed to allow ventilation next to the plywood roof, with batting insulation and moisture barrier installed, and then the drywall. I also, have fake (foam) beams installed. I just had new windows installed a week ago. This morning I noticed for the first time that there was moisture at the peak of the ceiling. The temperature was 72 today and the thermostat is set at 68. This is April and it gets very humid here in the summer. I climbed a 10' ladder and you can feel the heat at the peak of the ceiling, which is causing the condensation. The air vents are located ~ 2-3 feet from the ceiling in the wall. I have raised the thermostat to 70 and opened a window to see if that will help. I also have a ceiling fan but haven't used it yet. Since this is the first day and still spring and the room isn't completed yet, what can I do to fix this problem before it gets worst?

Last edited by aquaris2000; 04-26-2013 at 02:29 PM.
aquaris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Cathedral ceiling condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaris2000 View Post
I'm having the same problem as the person in this feed. And also my spouse died 6 months ago in an accident. The difference is that the cathedral ceiling is in a new part of the house. The top of the ceiling is directly under the roof and the lower half is in an attic crawl space. The rafters are 2x6 with a new singles outside the entire roof. There is a foam board installed that is designed to allow ventilation next to the plywood roof, with batting insulation and moisture barrier installed, and then the drywall. I also, have fake (foam) beams installed. I just had new windows installed a week ago. This morning I noticed for the first time that there was moisture at the peak of the ceiling. The temperature was 72 today and the thermostat is set at 68. This is April and it gets very humid here in the summer. I climbed a 10' ladder and you can feel the heat at the peak of the ceiling, which is causing the condensation. The air vents are located ~ 2-3 feet from the ceiling in the wall. I have raised the thermostat to 70 and opened a window to see if that will help. I also have a ceiling fan but haven't used it yet. Since this is the first day and still spring and the room isn't completed yet, what can I do to fix this problem before it gets worst?
We are very sorry for your loss. You may want to start your own thread so when you post pictures we do not get the two posts confused. If both of you can post a sketch showing a cross section through your roof assembly and your location this would help a lot.

Thanks Again, and Again, sorry.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote