Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |

Can you tell how old this flashing is, from this photo?

5 years ago I had some roof damage and got the entire roof reshingled. According to the contractor's invoice (from 5 years ago), they reflashed my 2 chimneys. Now, however, I am getting water damage in the attic because the flashing is leaking.

I had a contractor out recently to give an estimate on repairing the chimneys, and he says that the stucco is much older than 5 years. He didn't know how old it was, but he seemed to think that it was in the 20-30 year range. He didn't go up on the roof, he just looked at it from the ground. While he was trying to bid on replacing the flashing, it needs to be replaced and done right whether its 5 years old or 30 years old.

The chimney is brick, covered in stucco sometime during the last 20-30 years (the previous homeowner's paperwork is not clear on this one) and then 2 years ago a layer of DuroSeal (or some sort of...something) was applied. That layer is either falling off because it was poorly applied or because of other moisture issues. I don't believe that contractor did anything to the flashing except to paint it red.

In the photos, notice that the flashing is under the stucco. Is that correct? Meaning, it is definitely under the stucco, right, and not under the DuroSeal layer? Since there is no stucco mentioned in the original contractor's invoice, this would lead me to believe that he did not do the flashing as stated.

Is it at all possible to tell the age of the flashing from these photos? If I took the red paint off, would that help? I can upload zoomed or higher resolution photos if necessary.

I really appreciate any and all responses to this! Thanks!

Thanks again!
bigdaddydavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

Why in the world would someone paint it red unless they were trying to cover up old rusted flashing?
I personaly would have strongly suggest building a cricket on the high side of the chimmney.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=1
ThatDaveGuy (04-12-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #3

Regardless of how old the flashing is, the chimney should have had a cricket built like Joe said.

There is no way to tell from the picture how old the flashing is.
It does not make sense to paint it red, unless that was something you asked the roofer to do.

Did the roofer give you a warranty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Can You Dig It!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

chb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Roofmaster

It is impossible to tell, however, the flashing is probably not your problem. The way the top of the chimney was handled is.Water is getting in at the top, and running down behind the stucco and coating. Water that gets trapped behind the stucco is freezing and expanding. The result is what you have there. If it were me, I would have a good sheet metal shop make up a Stainless Steel cap to cover the whole top with a collar that sticks up around the active flue, install a stainless counter flashing on the flue, and pull off all the delaminated stucco and repair it, then apply the white acrylic coating after the stucco cures. I would buy a 5 gallon can of the Acrylic coating like Top Coat, or Firestones Acryltop, and color it to a brick shade. The white looks like crap, if you ask me, and I am not even going to comment on the red.

The stainless steel cap should be fastened with return hem cleats, not through fastened.

Whoever coated the chimney did not do you any favors, thats for sure.

As far as the flashing goes, yes there should be a cricket behind this chimney, and I do not see individual base tins between the shingles, nor a counter flashing at the proper height, and that is wrong. This is as much a masonry problem as it is a roofing problem, although a good roofer would have been able to foresee the problems you would have with this chimney and offer what I just did. Look at the water pockets up under the corbelling.

By the way, whoever got on this roof with the ladder set like that is lucky to be alive. Is that you?

Last edited by jagans; 04-10-2013 at 05:37 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #5

The 2008 roofer did give a warranty, but only for 1 year. I didn't discover the water problem until a few weeks ago.

The flashing was painted red by the guy in 2010 who did the duroseal, not by the 2008 roofer. I didn't ask 2010 guy to paint it red; he just did it on his own because he thought it would look nice. He also made some other "interesting" choices on his own as well.

I definitely plan on putting a cricket in; it immediately went on my "need" list as soon as I started reading about flashing.

The stucco was definitely not done in 2008 or 2010. I'm guessing I need to go up there and see if it's really stucco or just the duroseal covering the flashing.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
It is impossible to tell, however, the flashing is probably not your problem.
I agree that the flashing is only part of the problem. From within the attic, I can see daylight around the edge of the chimney through the roof. There is also spalling of the chimney brick inside the attic, a lack of intake venting, cellulose insulation blown over top of the intake vents that do exist, a poorly cut ridge vent, and a water heater flue that is both unlined and capped off at the top of the chimney causing more spalling and completely disintegrated bricks inside the attic (a different chimney than the one in the pictures, but also experiencing the same issues).

So, there are quite a few problems. But right now I am trying to figure out if the flashing was replaced in 2008 or not.

Quote:
By the way, whoever got on this roof with the ladder set like that is lucky to be alive. Is that you?
No sir, that was not me. That was a roofer that came out to get an estimate. Did I mention that the pitch of the roof is 10/12 or 11/12?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #7

The top of that chimmney is a total disaster.
It's going to to act as a funnel to direct water to the side of that chimmney.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

As many have said, there is a whole lot going on there that needs to be addressed.

New cap, new stucco, cricket, new flashing...basically a new chimney.

Probably hasn't be pro-actively maintained in a good long while by a qualified and it doesn't appear to be the easiest or most fun location to work so that is not surprising.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Yeah, that chimney makes me really nervous, especially due to its depth to height relationship. If it is falling apart inside it may be time to simply demolish it and build a new one, properly flashed. We dont know whats going on below that coating and stucco, but it cant be good.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Yeah, that chimney makes me really nervous, especially due to its depth to height relationship.
Do you mean its own dimensions, or how tall it is compared to its closeness to the edge of the roof? I imagine it would be easier to work with if it was right next to the edge, or further back...
Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Yeah, that chimney makes me really nervous, especially due to its depth to height relationship.
And his ladder isn't tall enough.

bigdaddydavy: the ladder should extend three rungs above the roof.

Last edited by Dorado; 04-11-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Roofmaster

I mean how tall it is in relation to how large its horizontal dimensions are. Yes I would think it would be easier to rebuild being close to the eaves, vis a vis labor to get materials to the location of work, etc etc. The chimney is of course as high as it is because it is so close to the eaves. It almost looks as if it should have a brace back to the roof structure about 2/3 of the way up.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Metal Roofing

Yikes, thats a mess.

That red paint is killing me, looks terrible and someone can't even paint a straight line. I would have repainted that if i lived there, its awful.
AndyWRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #14

I'm no mason by any streach, and have never built a chimmney in my life and never want to but do any of you tradesman see any reason why that chimmney need to be that high?

May be one of those things where you would need to be there to see the big picture to see what's around it to block the air flow.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #15

Maybe the windows have red trim and it may be a straight line on the side that could be seen from the street. As jagans the roofmaster said "The chimney is of course as high as it is because it is so close to the eaves."
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote