Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Share |

Can new roof be fixed?

I recently had my home roofed due to wind damage. The old roof was removed and Owens Corning demensional shingles were installed. I have several issues with the roof and have had an inspector and contractor say it has to be replaced. I am just looking for additional comments as I want to be fair to the opriginal contractor.

The two big issues that may require replacement are the reveal and courses. There is too much reveal causing an extra line in the shingles. See picture below. These occur all over including bottom courses. Also the courses were not run per OC instructions making for a non-random ugly look which is also in the picture. I will not even go into the many other issues.

Can it be fixed to look as it should? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Can new roof be fixed?-image002.jpg  
gary99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Can new roof be fixed?

Of course it can be fixed. You simply remove all the shingles, throw them away, and start over. Unless I am suffering from great hangover, those shingles don't look like they were aligned. Was this a sub low bid job by a team of illegal immigrants?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
DexterII (09-15-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #3

Can new roof be fixed?

Daniel, thanks for the reply.

No it was some good old boys who were used by the contractor who was referred to me by a neighbor.

Here are some more.

Note the vent boot they reused.
Attached Thumbnails
Can new roof be fixed?-roof11.jpg   Can new roof be fixed?-roof12.jpg   Can new roof be fixed?-roof13.jpg   Can new roof be fixed?-roof14.jpg  
Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #4

Can new roof be fixed?

I am a reasonable guy, but there is no reason to feel a need to be "fair" with the original party to what you now have for a "roof". Daniel is right on the mark; the only means of correcting that is to rip it off and start over.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #5

Can new roof be fixed?

This is a major problem. I would fully withhold all payment and not allow them on my property. I would then call my lawyer as well as a roof inspection firm to have a report written up. I would then DEMAND some form of compensation.

Unfortunately, there are more of these types of guys than us good guys who take the time and spend the money to do things the right way. It is bad to be put in this position, especially if you hired who you felt was credible. If I were you, I would ask your neighbor if he will allow you to take a look on his roof.
ParagonEx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Can new roof be fixed?

Sorry, you need to re-roof the home and have it done by someone qualified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #7

Can new roof be fixed?

Thanks for the replies confirming what I already thought.. I dislike confrontations but I see there is no choice.

I should have mentioned the contractor did a deck for the neighbor, not a roof. The roofing sub was the same neighbor's cousin. I coached kid's baseball at one time in a league with the contractor. Contractor is married to another neighbor's daughter. Small town life can have its issues....

I paid $7,000 up front. Total quote was $12,500 for 60 squares. I found out later (after asking a bunch of questions) they used 45 squares and took the 15 with them before I got home.

Contractor agreed to pay back the $7,000 plus extra water damage last week. This week he doesn't think it has to be replaced. He has an inspector coming today. I already have an inspection report but am getting it expanded along with an opinion from my new contractor.

New roof going on next week regardless.

Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
Mod

Can new roof be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary99 View Post
it was some good old boys who were used by the contractor who was referred to me by a neighbor.
Well, you paid for a low ball roof and look what you got. Not sure you have much recourse with these guys. If they were legal you could go after their bond.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

Can new roof be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Well, you paid for a low ball roof and look what you got. Not sure you have much recourse with these guys. If they were legal you could go after their bond.
I would never knowingly put a low ball roof on a $400,000 house. I had no idea what a roofing job cost at the time. I got two quotes and this was the higher one, I did not haggle at all. Insurance is paying so what do I care?

The other quote was from an hispanic guy and I did not give him any consideration. I later learned the going rate is $200 per square around here (even lower before the tornados hit) which is what the estimate was. The contractor is licensed and insured.

Turns out that the hispanic guy has as good or better reputation around here than anyone else and the new contractor (excellent referrals from many people) uses him exclusively for masonary and roofing and that includes $1M homes. He did a 10,000 sq ft house (owned by the first contractor's father-in-law) two doors down from me and it looks great.

This has been a learning experience for sure.

Last edited by gary99; 09-15-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #10

Can new roof be fixed?

Gary - $200 per square is the going out of business rate.

www.paragonexteriors.com

ParagonEx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ParagonEx For This Useful Post:
seeyou (09-22-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #11

Can new roof be fixed?

I'm a DIYer who just put OC dimensional shingles on my house because I was told "they are virtually idiot proof." I made some mistakes, fixed them, and, over the course of time "figured it out." Roof looks great and performs great. After seeing the pics Gary posted I have to say that dimensional shingles ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT IDIOT PROOF. Wow.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
RFN-4A-LVN

Can new roof be fixed?

It is never a good idea to laugh and poke fun of a very serious issue in our industry.But it seems that you are well on your way to having the roof repair and any and all interior damages restored.

But I have to ask.,.,what is wrong with that roof ,,,Seems they used the "Can't see it from my house attitude".

Maybe the installer was cross-eyed,was near sighted,far sighted,had one leg shorter than the other,color blind and had poor depth perception?

But on a serious note you should have the roof removed and installed by a roofing contractor.Sometimes its O.k to cross breed trades.But caution should be taken in the selection process.

And $200 per square is exactly the price for the workmanship you have recieved.$12,500 for a 60 sq. is absolutely insane.If your entire roof was a storm claim at $12,500 you should have had that roof installed for just the ACV.

If your contractor or you was crooked a bit then you could have made off great with the REC DEP.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 09-15-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #13

Can new roof be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagonEx View Post
Gary - $200 per square is the going out of business rate.

www.paragonexteriors.com
That is what I was told by someone in the industry here and he acted like it was higher than normal due to the demand after the storms. Maybe the labor is less and perhaps the application is different than up there due to snow and ice? Insurance is covering it so I do not care what it costs. It is not a "get an inflated invoice and make some money" deal. I do not do that.

The hispanic guy (I use that term only as I do not want to say any names) quoted $6,000 labor and I buy the materials. He estimated 55 squares. So what is that? 55 x $80 = $4400 + $1,000 other material + $6,000 labor = $10,400 or so? Again, this guy puts roofs on expensive houses and gets great revues.

When the new contractor showed the new roofer the roof, he said he kept saying in broken english, "bad job, bad job" while shaking his head.

I called the city building inspector and he had already heard about the mess. Small town, remember? He said city rules only state the job has to follow manufacturer's instructions. He suggested I call OC and I did but they will not send anyone out to document it. OC referred my to my contractor. Yeah, right.

I will get it documented by another contractor in case this thing gets to court which I want to avoid. I have an employee who is also an attorney and a trial would not cost me anything but the hassle that I want no part of.

The inspector also said that sometimes the insurance company will put pressure on the contractor. Not sure how unless they have a ban list or something?? I am pursuing that also.

I feel much better about the decision to fight this. It is comical and the light hearted comments are welcome.

Last edited by gary99; 09-15-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
MJW

Can new roof be fixed?

So, how much of that insurance check is still in your bank account. Maybe enough to cover another re-roof??
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #15

Can new roof be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
So, how much of that insurance check is still in your bank account. Maybe enough to cover another re-roof??
They estimated 36 squares initially but the adjuster put in as a 4/12?? or something. It is a 12/12 so they came back at 42.33 squares, steep charges and total at $13,500. Paid me $11,440 so far, the rest is paid when I get it put on. But, the cost may be such that I pay them money back if the cost ends up less. And yes I will pay them back and sleep well.

We were going to replace dormer sides vinyl with hardiboard when the roof was redone at our cost. We planned on keeping the metal fascia and soffit as it was not damaged and the contrator knew that. The roofers marred it so badly it has to be completely replaced as it could not be matched due to age. We have pictures of the damage.

Well we decided to use hardiboard (sp?) for fascia and soffit since it was ruined. Would it be fair to ask the initial contractor to pay for what it would cost if we had gone back with metal? I am glad we went with hardiboard as it looks much better.

Right now I am thinking I get my $7,000 deposit back plus fascia and soffit costs if I had put metal back on and call it a day. He keeps the extra 15 squares they squirreled away until questioned about it. This seems more than fair to me.

We had a couple of rooms with initial storm damage that we got insurance money to repaint but were going to only touch them up since it was not too bad. The additional damage from the first rain after the new roof is such they will have to be repainted but I will just use the insurance money to do it.

Thoughts?