Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can anyone help?

I live in an older mobile home and this is my first winter here. This am my momma noticed a leak in the bathroom ceiling .
Now it has a bubble? However it is still leaking. It looks like the ceiling and or bubble is going to break....
What should/can I do right now ?
I have put a bowl in there with a wash cloth in it to catch the water that is leaking out now, and a towel behind it, as it is also running down the wall. I am in Michigan and we have alot of snow and ice build up, as a matter of fact we are under a blizzard warning as I type this. I 'am going to go get my roof rake and start there .
What else can I do?

Please let me know asap.
Thank You

Sandra Thorpe

dozerswife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Can anyone help?

Take a thin screw driver or something of that nature,
poke a hole dead center of the bubble,
this will let the water run out freely and stop your ceiling from caving in.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

Can anyone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Take a thin screw driver or something of that nature,
poke a hole dead center of the bubble,
this will let the water run out freely and stop your ceiling from caving in.
One step further if you don't mind sly. So you don't have the dripping and splashing from the hole, tie a small cord or string to a paperclip, push the paperclip through the hole and let the string hang into the container you are using. Works on same principle as a gutter chain.

Sandra, as far as the leak goes, first and foremost is your safety in that weather. Don't attempt to get on your roof in any type of bad weather. Your bathroom getting wet is a much better alternative to you getting injured. If it is a single-wide, that wouldn't be much area to clear off when the weather does improve. As far as the actual leak goes, without knowing a few details about the roof we can't be a whole lotta help from here.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Can anyone help?

It`s good you have a snow rake,remove the snow (from the ground),if you have a tar style roof,buy Karnak ULtra flashing cement,and a 6" roll of fiberglass membrane.measure from downstairs where the leak is,use those same measurements from the roof,mark leak area,and look for splits,cracks,bubbles,or openings in the roof,pipes or flashings there-any bubbles need to be x-cut,dried out,set small amount of cement inside bubble,and repress down to roof,Coat entire area with cement over bubble,lay in membrane,and smooth in place with trowel,then apply a thicker coat of cement on the top-smooth down the cement and edges of the patch--pipes ,and other flashings can be sealed at breaks/openings with the same cement

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote