Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #1

Share |

California (ish) Style Home With 10'x8' flat peak???

The title says it all, on top of the that, the chimney comes out right in the middle of it.

At the moment there is rolled roofing over it but I think rolled roofing is a pretty worthless building material.

Id like to see either:

1. Torch down

2. Build a False peak

Also that chimney flashing..... I guess torch down wouldn't be a bad choice, This home is in Eastern Oregon, where it gets hot in the day and cold at night, plus the usual 80mph winds. Does any one have experience with this situation?

jonpad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Sounds like a widows walk. I would select a single piece of fully adhered unreinforced .060" EPDM to roof this. Install a Stainless Steel cut in counter flashing with lead wedges to flash the chimney. CF should be at least 8 inches high, 12 inches preferred.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #4

unfortunately I wont be back at that house until the 16th, so pictures will have to wait... but I will be sure to get them, and thank you for the reply.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #5

ahh thank you for the reply, tho I am having a hard time understand what all the technical details mean. I was thinking I should buy a book or manual to help digest some of the terminology, I used to be a pack mule for a roofing company but I never got a chance to learn about the materials.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Sorry Jon. Just go to Firestone Building Products/ Roofing/ EPDM and read up and look at the details. You will need to put down a recovery board to install the roof, but look at the standard details, and you will get a good idea of the system. You will need a termination bar at the chimney, AND a cut in counter flashing.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

oh im starting to remember the days when we did torch down... so you are saying that instead of using traditional chimney flashing, i can just continue the rubber all the way up the side of the chimney and then put a termination bar on it, and then put a cap on it to overlap the ends? i don't remember us ever using a termination bar, i think we just melted it to the chimney then put a cap over it.

ok so the one thing im a bit foggy about as well is how I am going to tie it into the composition shingles, I was just assuming i would roof up to the peak and then overlap the singles with some of the base paper and torch down.

and possibly use some thin strips directly over the seems?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Roofmaster

No, you are going to have to have a metal drip edge made up to shed down over the shingles if I am visualizing your situation properly. Use an adjustable bevel square to get the angle and then have a drip edge broken by a decent sheet metal shop. If you call a commercial low slope roofer they should be familiar with what to do.