Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Buillt Up Roofing vs EPDM

I have an apartment building that originally had a flat BUR roof. It was replaced with a EPDM roof that was installed by untrained contractors. I now need to have it fixed again. Should I go back to BUR or have the EPDM redone by someone who knows what they are doing? Is one better than the other?

Last edited by snateman; 11-14-2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: fat fingers
snateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

In most professional roofing contractors' opinions (those that have the skill and knowledge to do them) BUR is a far better system both for durability and longevity. Problem is finding a good one. I would like to see a base and four plies, minimum, for the waterproofing aspect of the roof assembly.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Commercial Flat Roofing

I'd go along with Aaron.

We install 75% BUR/G 20% EPDM, 5% diapers.( )

A properly installed AND MAINTAINED BUR will outlast a single ply by a mile.

Is my bias showing?
Talos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #4

EPDM is either the best roof or the worst. I know in some parts of the country roofers that are certified to install these roofs are hard to find. here in the north east there is almost zero BUR or modified bitumen anymore. everything is single ply and it is far better. I know because I can install both, but roofers all have there own opinon.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #5

EPDM are the pinto of roofs and BUR's are the cadillacs of roofs in my opinion. If the installation is crappy it wont matter what roof you use. I've seen several 30 and 40 BUR's still performing. Try and find a EPDM that lasts that long. If going with single ply I would go with a PVC fully adhered such as Sarnafil or Fibertite, with a 60 mil min. I have seen a few pvc roofs that are 20+ years old and still performing. EPDM can work well for 10-15 years if its installed correctly but most epdm contractors are fly-by-night guys that have no clue what the are doing. Good luck
ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #6

there are many EPDM roofs in the Boston area that were installed in the early 1980's and still doing well.
although many of the details since then have greatly improved.
RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
Commercial Flat Roofing

There is a local commerical roofing contractor that likes to call themselves our competition.

They "specialize" in EPDM roofing and Christmas trees. Seriously.

Talos4 is offline   Reply With Quote