Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building Roof over Roof, changing pitch

I everyone, I am new to this forum. I own a house that I would like to improve it's curbside appeal, and do some other changes to improve it's functionality. I believe that increasing the pitch of the middle structure would give me the required elevation, and really boost the curbside appeal. What I am trying to do is give this house more of an old style european tudor look. The image below show where I am at, and where I am trying to get to.

So basically, as a first step, I want to increase the pitch by building a structure on top of the existing roof. The roof is already a cathedral type ceiling, with a structural ridge board running down the spine, in which the 2X 8 rafters rest.

What I am considering doing is to raise the roof pitch to 12/12, raising the elevation about 2'.

So it would basically be a 2X4 structure built on top of the existing roof, 16" O.C. I would leave the existing 2X8 rafters in place, and join onto them. I am using 2X4s because the span is only about 2' or so between the supports. The load would be transfered directly down to the existing 2X8 rafters.

I wanted to post my plans to get some feedback. Is this reasonable? Should I remove the existing sheathing, so as to save on weight? The location is Texas, by the way.

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

you may want to replace the cathedral ceiling below so you can frame the upper better,your pics didn`t come out,try and repost them

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:15 AM   #3

Hmm,

I am not sure why the pics didn't come out. Here is a link to them.

Elevations
http://www.uber-werks.com/images/house/1.jpg

Plan View
http://www.uber-werks.com/images/house/2.jpg

Section
http://www.uber-werks.com/images/house/3.jpg

I would like to not have to replace the cathedral ceiling below.

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 12-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #4

pics worked for me.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

The pictures worked for me too. That seems like an awful large expense, without adding any additional living area. I would be concerned about the remaining cathedral ceiling area, which may not be able to expell the contained humidity content by encapsulating the existing roof structure. Allowances would need to be made to expell the moisture laden air from that environment, since the wind forces which create the negative and positive air presures will be concentrated on the new 12/12 structure only.

By changing the structure a little, this could be a useable 2nd story addition.

You would probably be best served by removing the initial roof structure. I may be wrong though, so consult your architect and engineer.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #6

I was planning on removing some of the existing sheathing, perhaps all of it should be removed in lite of the moisture concerns.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Just wanted to re-address this thread to see if there is any follow-up from the original poster, or if others have any additional advice.

I'm looking to do something similar but the ceilings below aren't cathedral, they are simply standard 8' ceilings. I figured I would tear off the gravel roofing and sheathing but leave all supporting structures.
Cache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

sounds good,flat roofs are easier to build off of,just follow the insulating,and venting specs,if possible ventilate with closed cell foam for higher R-value

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote