Building Chase Around A Brick Chimney - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building Chase Around a Brick Chimney

I want to build a wood and vinyl sided Chase around my present brick chimney.

The chimney (at the roofline) is 26 w, 33 long, and 46 & 36 high. When it rains hard or for long period, the brick absorbs the water and then leaks down into the house. I do not want to put on a sealer; I have already tried that without success, i.e. still leaks.

Do you have any experience doing something like this?

Advertisement

TDFICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Nope. Are you sure it wouldn't be more cost effective to just rebuild the chimney?

Advertisement

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFICH View Post
I want to build a wood and vinyl sided Chase around my present brick chimney.

The chimney (at the roofline) is 26 w, 33 long, and 46 & 36 high. When it rains hard or for long period, the brick absorbs the water and then leaks down into the house. I do not want to put on a sealer; I have already tried that without success, i.e. still leaks.

Do you have any experience doing something like this?
It's likely leaking at the crown. A full chimney cover might possibly solve this. Got any pictures and are you sure it's a "chimney"and not a brick veneered chase?

Where is it located on the roof? At the eave, in the middle of a roof plane, at the ridge.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote