Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #1

Share |

Broken Rafters after roof reshingled

Our roof had been damaged by windstorm in March, roofing contractor redid roof 3 weeks ago. I noticed immediately that there was now a depression (about 4x4 foot) on the roof of my garage, about midway down (I took pre reshingling photos so I know it was not there before the work was done)...The roofing contractor has looked at it and agrees something is not right. I went up into attic, and noticed that there are 2 rafters that appear to have snapped down about 1-2 inches away from plywood at the outside wall (where the depression is)...

The roofing contractor sent his general contractor to inspect it, and his story is this: The rafter was probably like that already and must have been cut short of the wall, and simply left like that, but the original builder covered it up most likely by shimming additional sheets of shingles to cosmetically make it look level from the outside. I questioned him that this really happened? and he said probably, and he stated that the way to fix it would NOT be to correct the rafter, that would really not be necessary he said, but he said they could pull up some of the shingles and do the same thing that supposedly was done before, and that the issue is pure cosmetics of the roof, and that structurally it is the same as it was before....

I am obviously going to get a second opinion, outside of the roofing company, as this sounds like total BS to me...Luckily, the roofing contractor himself says he will do what I want, especially when I mentioned that I good friend of mine who is a well established contractor here in town is going to take a look for me...My friend says he sees this damage some, usually caused by dropping the architectural shingle bundles at 80+pounds down hard...

So my question is for anyone with knowledge...Is the practice of shimming a roof with additional shingles a common practice by roofers to hide uneven surfaces underneath???

David
champdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

I would say that it is somewhat common, but not with legitimate roofing companies. That rafter should be fixed. It will probably require that a hole be cut in the roof to install a new rafter or two. The sheathing and shingles can then be patched.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
STAFF

No and especially not with broken rafters, if you get a snow load chances are you will have snow inside your house, it is not going to correct itself.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote