Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Breaking Shingle Seal Tabs

I had a tree branch crash through my roof at the ridge vent. I have to strip off shingles to replace the damaged plywood. Since the roof is only 3 years old, I want to install the new shingles only in the damaged area. My problem is breaking the seal tabs on the adjacent shingles without damaging them. Is there a tried and true way to do this?

cwbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

It depends on the shingle.If it is Owens Corning be prepared for a bit of a fight.

Hot weather brings its challenges.The shingles are pretty difficult to separate.Summer repairs I have found are pretty simple with either a spatula or a 6" putty knife.

Winter repairs bring their own challenges to the table.In cooler temps the seal strips are easier to separate but lifting the shingle too high and the shingle can crack and break.

My cold weather repairs often are started around 9am.In my region repairs IMO are easier at that time.The seal strip is just warm enough to separate and warm enough for the shingle to bend and flex without damaging the shingle.

Using a nail bar should separate the seal strips with ease.Just bring some patients otherwise you will damage many more shingles than you were prepared to replace.

And be very careful on a roof in cold temps.The roof might look safe before the sunrises but once that sunlight hits the roof it will turn to frost and become very dangerous.

Just recently I was on a 8/12 roof setting roof anchors for harnesses. The sun was coming up and I was not thinking about anything but starting the roof.I walked the 25' to the ridge from the gutter line.I set 2 anchors and by the 3rd the frost came from nowhere and before I knew it the roof was covered in frost and was about the same as a skating rink.

I slipped and caught myself but I was headed face first down the roof toward the gutter.I pulled my hatchet and was smashing the shakes on my way down.About 5' from the gutter I slowed myself down by smashing through the shakes.

I was able to slide the rest of the way to the gutter line.I scooted across the gutter line with my feet in the gutter.I bought new gutters for the slope.I tore the hell out of them.

Small price to pay for keeping my mobility.The winter weather brings very different challenges and remember just because you walk freely in the spring,summer and fall does not mean winter is the same.Exercise caution regardless of season.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 11-08-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-09-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 20

A flat bar and quick short repeated strokes works for me.
Do not even try to lift the shingle, just hold the bar flat with the roof.

http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/7...ar_Pry_Bar.jpg
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
It depends on the shingle.If it is Owens Corning be prepared for a bit of a fight.

Hot weather brings its challenges.The shingles are pretty difficult to separate.Summer repairs I have found are pretty simple with either a spatula or a 6" putty knife.

Winter repairs bring their own challenges to the table.In cooler temps the seal strips are easier to separate but lifting the shingle too high and the shingle can crack and break.

My cold weather repairs often are started around 9am.In my region repairs IMO are easier at that time.The seal strip is just warm enough to separate and warm enough for the shingle to bend and flex without damaging the shingle.

Using a nail bar should separate the seal strips with ease.Just bring some patients otherwise you will damage many more shingles than you were prepared to replace.

And be very careful on a roof in cold temps.The roof might look safe before the sunrises but once that sunlight hits the roof it will turn to frost and become very dangerous.

Just recently I was on a 8/12 roof setting roof anchors for harnesses. The sun was coming up and I was not thinking about anything but starting the roof.I walked the 25' to the ridge from the gutter line.I set 2 anchors and by the 3rd the frost came from nowhere and before I knew it the roof was covered in frost and was about the same as a skating rink.

I slipped and caught myself but I was headed face first down the roof toward the gutter.I pulled my hatchet and was smashing the shakes on my way down.About 5' from the gutter I slowed myself down by smashing through the shakes.

I was able to slide the rest of the way to the gutter line.I scooted across the gutter line with my feet in the gutter.I bought new gutters for the slope.I tore the hell out of them.

Small price to pay for keeping my mobility.The winter weather brings very different challenges and remember just because you walk freely in the spring,summer and fall does not mean winter is the same.Exercise caution regardless of season.
The shingles are a GAF 40" long with 5 tabs each. I tried a hair dryer and it was too cold for that. I tried heating the tab with a propane torch and that damaged the shingle I was trying to save. I then tried heating the tip of a putty knife. That was very slow going as the knife cooled so fast when inserted between the shingles.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #5

I found this video on youtube that explains the problem that I am having.

The newer shingles use a synthetic adhesive that is fuses the shingles together, unlike the tar of the past. Problem is that this company is not in business anymore. Is there another tool like this out there?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #6
Remodeler

As roofmaster said; the seal strips separate much easier when they are cold, heating the shingles or the knife will most likely make it worse. On a warm sunny day it can be very difficult to separate them without destroying both shingles.

What I find to work best is a thin blade putty knife about 4-5 inches wide, a hammer and about 35-40 degrees with little to no sun. Holding the knife at a low angle, almost flat, and carefully tapping it up under the tabs will separate them pretty cleanly.

I recently had to repair some sheeting on my son's house with 5 year old Tamko laminated shingles. It was about 60 degrees in the mid afternoon sun when I started and nothing I tried was working, even the thin putty knife and working carefully would result in destroying the tab and the shingle below. I almost considered giving up and waiting for colder weather. Since I have free access to it at work I decided to try using some dry ice and it could not have worked any better!

I picked up a half dozen slabs of ice from work and laid them out over the strips I wanted to separate. After a few minutes the shingles popped easily apart with the putty knife. I went around the area I wanted to repair and separated all the shingles I would need to remove, by the time I was done the shingles I started with had warmed up enough they could be bent up without breaking the tabs.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 20

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-0.../dp/B004F5JCSW
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #8

Ok I just came it. I tried the suggestion of using a "thin blade putty knife about 4-5 inches wide, a hammer and about 35-40 degrees with little to no sun." It was about 39 degrees here this morning. It worked. Thanks for the suggestions.

PS: I like the idea of the attachment for the Sawzall. If I had more time, I get one.